SCUBA-L March 2000, Week 1

Cabo San Lucas Trip Report

Ron Lee <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 5 Mar 2000 00:43:53 GMT

Cabo San Lucas Trip Report

Dates: 27 Feb-1 Mar 2000

Transportation: America West through Phoenix. Phoenix is a nice
terminal with an excellent Deli that makes custom sandwiches. There
is no food to speak of on the planes so take something with you or
spend enough time in Phoenix to get food.

No problems outbound other than it was hot in the plane while we
waited for the pilots to show up from a delayed flight from Seattle.
Am West should hook up ground APU's or equivalent to ensure the plane
is comfortable. Also, you cannot have carry on luggage under the seat
in front of you if you are on the exit row.

On the way back, Roberta was not assigned a seat for the Phoenix to
ABQ leg. No reason offered except it was overbooked. Not true. The
flight was cancelled six hours ahead of time. Really seems odd that at
their main hub that they could not get another replacement plane. I
suspect they cancelled it due to low passenger count. If so, Bad
America West.......BAD! However, they did give Roberta a meal voucher
and a confirmed seat on the 10 pm flight. Also, they gave her free
phone calls to let family know of the delay.

The customs folks in Phoenix held up all dive bags that had dive
knives on the return into the United States. They said it was a
security violation. If you had a short time (1.5 hours) between
connecting flights, you would probably not get your luggage and hence
would not make your connecting flight. Strongly suggest 2 hour
layover to ensure you make connections. Otherwise, customs was
fast.

Rental Car: There are many to choose from. We went with the more
expensive truck for gear and such which ran about $80 per day
including the Mexican insurance. You can probably get by for $30 less
per day by getting just a small car. Also, it is worth getting AC
because then you can roll up the windows when the hawkers come down
the line of cars and you don't have to talk to them. Don't wait to
rent one till you get there-especially if you have a late flight
arrival. Make sure you have the rental car confirmation number. The
main street is four lanes and easy to get around. The rest of the
place is narrow 1 or two lane and lots of one ways with no stop signs
marked. Just stop every time to be on the safe side.

Hotel: Mar de Cortez. This was on the main street into town once it
became one-way. A "family" hotel. Nice rooms, pool, A/C. I wish
they had small refrigerators though. They had an excellent breakfast
for $2.50 called an American Breakfast. The fruit crepes were also
very tasty and loaded with fruit. They also supply very large beach
towels for the pool and the beach. They include the tips for the
maid and the like right in the cost. Very economical compared to
places like the Hacienda Beach resort. Web site:
http://www.mardecortez.com/

Diving: This time of year, in the bay, compared to Cozumel: it was
poor. Low viz, 70 degree F water, little coral life and so-so
feeshies. We did see a few horned sharks (?) and an octopus. Some
blue chromis and schools of yellow tail. But we do not recommend this
place this time of year as a dive destination. Second half of year
is supposedly better at places like Gordo Banks and Cabo Pulmo. Tio
Watersports took just Roberta and me out to Neptunes Finger and
Pelican Rock. They were fine. We later chatted with J&R Baja Divers
and they seem like a good operation too. Websites:

   http://www.tiosports.com/index-lc.html
(At the Melia San Lucas hotel)

    and

http://www.cabotel.com.mx/j&rbajadivers/
(Plaza Bonita mall (east end of marina)

Restaurants: Breakfast was great at Mar de Cortez. One evening we
ate at The Whalewatcher at the Finesterra and did see whales swimming
by in the Pacific. Our best meal was at the Italian restaurant La
Dolce (M. Hidalgo at Zapata). Roberta had the fettucini with salmon
and shrimp -- $12.00. Their prices are very reasonable and they serve
excellent capuccino and warmed Frangelico. We also strongly suggest
you get filtered water -like the 20 oz bottles and keep refilling them
-restaurants don't provide water free. They charge from $1.50 to 2.50
for drinking water with a meal. Buy gallon jugs of it and refill the
smaller bottles as needed.

Weather: FANTASTIC! 80 degrees F max during the day. Light breezes.
Dry air. It was nice anytime. You might want a light jacket at night
but I never used one. Wear sunscreen and wear a hat.

Other: Roberta and I kayaked over to Lover's Beach. Walked around
the Pacific side under the Arch where we played frisbee. Roberta just
had to climb the rocks. Later that day we went whale-watching with
J&R Baja Divers. They were great. Just the two of us. We got close
enough to hear whales breathing in and out and see the markings on
their fins and upper body. Great job by J&R. Essentially
personalized service. The big tours can't get as close and often make
so much noise you can't hear the whales. Also, try wave running -
it is fun and fast.

Negatives: Two many time share hawkers. (There is construction every
where for big new condos and the like.) It is best to not make eye
contact, ignore them or just walk on by quickly. Also too many folks
selling stuff on the beach. Don't they realize we go there to RELAX?
Unless you are in a sheltered area like a hotel cordoned off area they
will walk right up to you and get in your face.

Ron Lee & Roberta Ewart