Help for SCUBA-L Archives

SCUBA-L Archives

SCUBA-L@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

SCUBA-L Home

SCUBA-L  March 2000, Week 1

SCUBA-L March 2000, Week 1

Re: Wall diving (was Re: Definition of "BEST" wall?)

"Robert F. Ling" <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 4 Mar 2000 11:50:02 -0500

At 05:27 PM 3/4/00 +0200, Kuty wrote:
>At 22:59 03/03/00 -0500, Feesh wrote:
>

>>For readers who are interested in "wall diving" and what makes
>>divers call some walls "great" (not "best"), here are three
>>posts you can find in Deja.com.
>
>O.K., I'll try to share a few notes about wall diving, with those who are
>too lazy to do a net search :-)

You mean too lazy to swallow the feed spoon-fed to them?  :-)  I had
already done the search and boiled the ACCESS steps down to a bare-
bone minimum.  If anyone who has ACCESS to a web, and cannot fill
the blanks with the blank-filling "words" given in those steps,
please so indicate, so we'll see how MASTER-step-writer Bjorn
can improve on them.  :-)

HOWEVER, there are those who have NO ACCESS to web pages ..., but
in any case, we can always start from scratch.

>In many places (I haven't really been to a lot of places so I won't say
>"most") the ocean floor, or the lake floor, is sloping gently into the
>abyss.  That means that as divers, we usually swim along reefs or on wrecks
>that sit on horizontal (or a very gently sloped) bottom.  Nevertheless, in
>a few (relatively) dive sites there is a drop off that create
>something that looks like a rocky wall, in the water.
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the missing keyword is "steep" or "vertical" which you gave below.

>The closer to vertical position, the better.

"Vertical" implies "perpendicular" or 90 degrees to the surface.
Some walls drop BEYOND the vertical, or greater than 90 degrees.
A reverse or recessed slope.  A small segment of the wall like
that is called an "undercut".

One of the walls in Little Cayman is like that.  When the diver
follows the surface of that wall down, you literally cannot see
the diver's bubbles for awhile because they are caught on the
reverse slope of the wall.

Mountain climbers are seen on such "reverse walls" above the
surface.  It's much tougher for THEM to traverse such walls
above water than scuba divers do UW.  :-)

>I found this kind of formation to be typical to islands in the middle of
>deep sea and to places where the mountains are dropping straight into the
>ocean (or the lake).  I have seen great walls in the Red Sea,

Schedule permitting, I may take a 10-day liveraboard trip in May at
the Red Sea.  :-)

>This kind of bottom formation (actiually you can call it "no bottom"
>formation :-)

We call it "bottomless" as in "topless" and "bottomless" in dancing. :-)

) makes diving a lot more interesting (IMO) especially if
>the visibility is good.  Imagine diving along a rocky wall, covered with
>beautiful coral heads and anemones, and thousands of colorful fish around
>them.  Imagine looking down and seeing the rocky wall disappearing in the
>deep blue abyss.  Imagine looking up and seeing the wall going up as far as
>you can see.  Imagine looking straight into the blue (opposite to the wall)

>and seeing the big animals (sharks, mantas, dolphins) swimming in the open
>blue water, getting close to the wall to get food (especially in strong
>currents).

One of the posts debated whether the animals should count toward the
description of a great "wall".

>As a diver I haven't seen anything more beautiful than what I tried to
>describe here and obviously failed due to language deficiencies :-)

You've done a "great" job, on "great" walls, in your 'fern' language
no less!  :-))

>Any poets on the list to give a better description?

Poets?  They would typically give a description of anything like
a diver would give when he is severely narked, or having taken
an overdose of hallucinogen.  :-)   That would only make their
description "more interesting", but not "better".

-- Bob.