CONLANG  April 2000, Week 4

CONLANG April 2000, Week 4

Re: CHAT: Passover

Nik Taylor <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Apr 2000 18:18:40 -0400

James Campbell wrote:
> Perhaps someone could confirm this, but
> IIRC Veadar was added to 7 years every 19 (I think)

The extra month is called Adar I.  And it is 7 out of every 19 years.
Nowadays, at least, it's the 3, 6, 8, 11, 14, 17, and 19th month.
There's also complicated rules determining when Heshvan has 30 days
("abundant"), and when Kislev has 29 days ("deficient").  From what I
gather, very little is known of the exact method of how abundant and
deficient years were calculated before the present calendar was set up.

> Or I could be remembering very badly. I have a good forgettory.

"Forgettory", I like that word!

> Anyway, as a result we can differ in our celebration date from the generally
> recognized Passover date by a whole month, once in a while. This year it was
> the same though.

As can Easter.

--
"If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men
believe and adore, and preserve for many generations the remembrance of