CONLANG  April 2000, Week 4

CONLANG April 2000, Week 4

Re: Italian Particles

Irina Rempt <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 22 Apr 2000 07:05:42 +0200

TEXT/PLAIN

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Nik Taylor wrote:

> Sally Caves wrote:
> > What about sentences like, "He wants you to call him, David, I mean."
>
> That's an afterthought.  You started off saying "He wants you to call
> him", but then realized that the context might not be clear enough to
> indicate that "he" is David, so you stuck on that bit.

The context should also be clear enough to indicate that "him" is
David; the sentence might mean

"David wants you to call David",
"Tom wants you to call David", or
"David wants you to call Tom".

English (or Dutch either) doesn't have a way to disambiguate this
*syntactically*.

   Irina

[log in to unmask] (myself) - http://valdyas.conlang.org (Valdyas)
          http://www.valdyas.org/irina/index.html (home)