CONLANG  April 2000, Week 4

CONLANG April 2000, Week 4

Re: List limits, and Passover/Easter

yl-ruil <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 Apr 2000 11:01:39 +0100

Barry Garcia wrote:

> [log in to unmask] writes:
> >Nevertheless, the claim is made annually by ultra-radical Fundamentalist
> >Reformed sorts that "Easter" is from "Ishtar" and that all "Easter"
> >celebrations are actually Ishtar worship.  Mind you, they can't figure
out
> >how the name got from Mesopotamia to England without touching any of the
> >countries in between.  What is truly strange is that some neopagans have
> >taken up exactly the same daft refrain in an attempt to claim that Easter
> >was "theirs first".  I guess Jews don't exist, anymore...

It wasn't anybody's "first". Surely the idea of festivals developing at the
same time isn't defunct now? Not everything has to "come" from somewhere.
Reminds me somewhat of nineteenth century mythologists who held that the
Sceald Scefing story at the beginning of Beowulf was lifted directly from
the bibilical account of Moses. Influenced, maybe, but not plagiarised.

> This reminds me of something I found amusing from my world mythology
> course last semester. We were going over Norse gods and goddesses, and
> when we came to Idun, my professor made a less than subtle hint that Idun,
> and Eden are related in some way (now, he may be right, but i have my
> doubts).

Hah!

----
Bengesko niamso.