Help for SCUBA-L Archives

SCUBA-L Archives

SCUBA-L@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

SCUBA-L Home

SCUBA-L  April 2000, Week 5

SCUBA-L April 2000, Week 5

Women's BCDs(was Re: Tortuga's trip report)

Krazy Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 29 Apr 2000 17:54:07 +0800

Ed Graves wrote:
>Sherry - My 15 year-old daughter dives a SeaQuest Diva QD, which was
>designed for a woman's shape.  Before that I had her trying a couple
>different brands of men's smaller BCs.  We could never get them to
>fit properly.  They just couldn't be adjusted to fit her smaller
>frame.  As I've written before, she is quite happy with the Diva.
>SeaQuest also makes the Libra, also designed with woman in mind.
>I don't know if Mares makes a true woman's BC, I know Aqualung
>(US Diver) does, I think it is called the Elan.

Sherry, my first BCD was the US Divers Elan. Still have it actually ...
funny story to that I took it in for repair one year & the techie said "did
you know you have a slight hole in the bladder?". I replied in the negative
& he commented I should have noticed when trying to put air in my bc. Told
him so far I hadnt the need for extra boyancy as I was weighted so that I
could get around by varying how I breathed. Those were the days when I was
fit & lean as a string-bean so hardly had any lead on my weight belt with an
aluminium tank and not interested in UW photography.

A few years later went to Kwajalein & dived with a steel tank. Boy did I
have to pump the BCD up then because I didnt have the luxury of a 5mil
divesuit to give me a bit of boyancy & as I was wearing a lycra suit I would
have sunk like a brick without some help from my BCD. What bliss not having
to wear a weight belt at all.

Years on its a completely different story because (depending on where I am
diving) Im carrying extra gear, especially backup gear I wouldnt have even
thought of having when I was a newbie & not so safety conscious ;-) and err
... extra weight .. you know that weight!! .. thunder thighs ;-) .. the good
life has caught up with me <G>. Sometimes I lug around 2 cameras also so now
I find I have to carry more lead to ensure I dont pop to the top like a cork
when my aluminium tank gets below 1000 psi and sometimes have to pump a bit
of air into me BCD at depth to prevent me sinking into the abyss. I am
actually thinking of replacing my al tanks with steel tanks to compensate
for my growing girth ;-) then I can drop the weight belt.

My latest BCD (Oceanic Isla) has integrated weights which I pull them out &
leave at home when diving overseas. Have enough luggage to carry as it is so
rely on the dive operator I am with to provide weights there. When I went
over for the CozNEDfest trip I forgot to take my own weight belt .. a
neoprene belt that has a pocket for each weight and closes with velcro so
nothing slips out. That neoprene belt gives me a bit of extra padding there
when I have to walk a long way fully kitted up as I hate the feeling of the
weight belt digging in to me hip. On boat dives normally I only take my fins
off & climb up the ladder but there are those operators who insist you hand
your weight belt up first so my neoprene belt is easy to unbuckle & slip off
me cuddly waistline :-) The Isla also have a soft backpad & doesnt take up
as much room in my backpack dive bag like the Elan does. If you are thinking
of travelling overseas for dive trips also look at how easy it is to fold
your BCD as some of them do take up a bit of room & can be quite heavy.

One day I will get my act together & look at the other option - steel
backplate setup. Mika was using one at Coz. I didnt check his gear out
thoroughly .. just noticed he had a steel backplate & put an extra weight on
one of the straps when he needed it. Lee seems to be sold on it & now Andy
is moving in to that area also so its food for thought.

    Viv &     Only when the last tree has died     o  ___
    Fluffy    and the last river been poisoned     o /@  \/
   (=*_*=)     and the last fish been caught        >  )::
             will we realise we cannot eat money.    \___/\
Chief Seattle, Chief of the Swamish Native Americans