SCUBA-L April 2000, Week 5

Trip Report - Eastbourne

Bubble N Squeak <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 30 Apr 2000 01:09:35 +0000

Well, 'ear tis...

Monday, 24th

For those that don't know, Eastbourne is a small town about 1.5Hrs drive
from London.  It has a marina from which operate 2 dive charter boats.

I usually dive with "Taurus" which is a catamaran (I forget the name of the
type and am terrible at estimating the size of boats) owned and operated by
a guy called Steve Howland.

A pleasant drive down from London had me (and the rest of the group) loaded
and ready to roll by 8:30am; which is rather handy as Eastbourne has a lock
system and so we were able to catch the 8:30 Lock.

Dive 1
*******
Our first dive was the "Caleb Sprag".  This is/was and American ship lent
to the UK during WWII.  Unfortunately it was torpedoed on the 31st January,
1944 and this leads to an interesting situation where the US government
says it belongs to the UK and we owe them for it and the UK government says
that the US are welcome to have it back!

Anyway....

The wreck sits on the bottom at approx. 46m (151ft Approx) and the top is,
or should I say, was at approx 35m (115ft).   My dive plan was to be at 40m
which gives me the deck, top of the holds and the cabin section.

Detailed dive plan for those that may be interested.

40m - 20mins - Air
15m - 1min  -  Switch to 50%
6m - 4mins - 50%
3m - 7mins - 50%

We arrived on site and the shot line was dropped.  After a short wait for
the current to drop a little we entered the water (10Degc - 50Degf  -
Brrrr...).  There was still a slight current running so we had to pull
ourselves down the line into the gloom.  We arrived on the wreck at the
centre section and proceeded to the cabin area (this was a bit of good
navigating as the viz was about 3m).  Last time I dived this wreck the
cabin was quite accessible, it was possible to enter and explore quite a
great deal of the structure.  I believe that people have been down a deck
or 3 but I have never been that far.

Unfortunately time has started to take it's toll and so the gangways and
cabins looked a little to unstable to enter.  We had a good root around the
out side of this section but decided not to venture too far in.  After
approx 15 minutes my buddy decided that it was time to ascend (as he was on
air deco rather than accelerated).  I waited for him to inflate and launch
his delayed SMB and start up before I moved on to inspect the nearest hold.
Nothing of any great interest there :(

I dispatched my DSBM and up I went for a 12 minute hang.

Dive 2
*******
After a 2 hour wait our second dive was the "Glenartney".  This was a
5,201-ton merchantman that was torpedoed on the 18th March, 1915 on it's
way from Bangkok to London loaded with 7,661-tones of rice.

Anyway....

The wreck sits on the bottom at approx 31m (allegedly!!!).

Detailed dive plan for those that may be interested.

30m - 20mins - Air
15m - 1min  -  Switch to 50%
6m - 6mins - 50%
3m - 10mins - 50%

This wreck is very broken up as it has been swept a couple of time over the
years.  There are a couple of boilers standing proud, but not much else.

We had a good root around, but it was much like climbing over a pile of
sheet metal.

After 15 minutes we decided to call it a day.  A close inspection of my
computer gave me a little shock as the max depth showed as 38m!  Somewhere
I had missed a 7m hole!  Fortunately I had planned for this sort of thing
and had a deco schedule already written.

40m - 20mins - Air
15m - 1min  -  Switch to 50%
9m - 1min - 50%
6m - 6mins - 50%
3m - 18mins - 50%

Up we went.  After 26mins of hanging about (and starting to feel decidedly
chilly) We returned to the boat to discuss the failings of wreck guides and
the vagaries of depth estimation!

A great day, but not a porthole in site :(  maybe next time.

Back in the marina for the 17:30 lock and time for a beer or 2!

There ya go.

Cosma

Solution6
     [log in to unmask] - Short Messages to my Phone
     Voice         :- +44-(0)20-7786-5000
     Fax           :- +44-(0)20-7786-5055
     Personal Fax  :- +44-(0)870-127-8355

visit http://www.eccountancy.com
The complete online resource for accountants

This email message (and attachments) may contain information that is confidential to Solution 6. If you are not the intended recipient you cannot use, distribute or copy the message or attachments. In such a case, please notify the sender by return email immediately and erase all copies of the message and attachments.  Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the official business of Solution 6 are neither given nor endorsed by it.