AUXLANG May 2000, Week 2

Re: IAL History

"Donald J. HARLOW" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 May 2000 08:42:47 -0700

Je 07:12 atm 5/8/00 -0400, Bob LeCHEVALIER skribis

>>From:    Roy McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Re: IAL History
>>
>>  Also, as Don Harlow has commented, UEA
>>dues have been permitted to rise to a point where he probably wouldn't be
>>a member himself if he hadn't taken out a life membership way back when.
>
>That is almost certainly a factor, especially since the main growth areas
>for IALs are not in the wealthy US but in other countries where any price
>Don finds expensive is truly exhorbitant.

It would probably be fair to add that UEA uses a "sliding scale" membership
system, under which citizens of a large number of poor countries can get
membership for half rate. Unfortunately, even $30 a year is an unbearable
expense in a country such as Vietnam or Madagascar, where we're talking a
week's or even a month's salary for the average citizen.

>>I didn't call it the status quo. But now that you have mentioned it,
>>with the suggestion that I have misrepresented the situation, perhaps
>>I should add something on this. "Conspiracy of silence" and "stifling
>>of dissent" are, I'm afraid, palpable realities at UEA and elsewhere
>>in the Esperanto movement. A few months before going to work at the
>>UEA Central Office in 1988 (where I still work, mainly on publications),
>>I submitted an article for UEA's magazine "Esperanto" titled "Chu eblas
>>plibonigi la lingvon?", in which I discussed what would be necessary in
>>order for a reform to be effectuated. The editor replied that it was a
>>fine article, but that he wasn't using it because it didn't conform to
>>the ideology of the association. After starting to work at UEA, I saw
>>various other reform-related submissions, none of which were accepted.
>>Undeterred by the rejection of my article, I started recruiting reformists
>>in short paid announcements at the end of the magazine, and in a while
>>had a new association with several dozen members and a printed journal.
>>It continued in this way until early 1993, when the UEA Board secretly
>>(i.e. unreportedly - I don't know if it was entered into or expunged from
>>the official protocol) voted to prohibit any further mention of the new
>>association Novo in UEA publications, even in paid announcements. It was
>>also proposed that the ban extend to mention of *any* alternative language
>>project, but I'm not sure whether this officially went through or not.
>>The General Secretary was going to take it to the larger UEA Committee
>>as part of an overtly repressive resolution on "Lingvopolitiko" that
>>would have authorized the immediate expulsion of anyone favoring Esperanto
>>reform, on the grounds that such persons "damaghas la Asocion morale".
>>The proposal was withdrawn before going to a vote, however, and I don't
>>know that anything came of it after.
>>
>>The UEA Board in later years tabled reconsideration of the matter,
>>sending it to an impromptu "komisiono" which of course did nothing,
>>and the none-dare-call-it-censorship continued. Several months ago
>>I proposed that the Board approve a resolution guaranteeing the right
>>of free thought and expression too all members of the association in all
>>relating to Esperanto, both within and without association publications.
>>They declined to vote on this, the pretext being that it wasn't necessary,
>>that all UEA members were already free to think and express themselves
>>as they wished - though "ekster niaj eldonajhoj"! The censorial aspects of
>>these publications have thus been openly if not formally acknowledged.
>
>This is truly a sad situation.  I would be interested if Don H could tell
>us of a hopefully different policy among the US Esperanto publications, at
>least.

As far as Esperanto USA is concerned, I edited it for seven years, and the
ELNA Board never expressed any set editorial policy to me. I generally had
to use my own judgment. My judgment was:

(a) Discussions about what some considered lacunae in the language would be
permitted. There were, actually, relatively few of these. One member
complained about words that began with the 'c' phoneme, which were
impossible to pronounce (despite the fact that half the human race, at
least, has ipso facto no problem with such words). And we actually had a
nice little discussion (eight letters, before I cut it off) in the letter
column about the -IN- suffix.

(b) Had someone proposed "reforms" as such, I would _not_ have published
that. ELNA's raison d'etre is to promote Esperanto, not to screw around
with it. Anybody who wanted to _change_ Esperanto by adding a new word or
modifying a form was welcome to do so _in practice_ (I myself have used
"meg" for "miliono" and words from the fictitious "ALI-" correlative
column), just not to _talk_ about doing so (incidentally, as far as I know
this is also the case with the magazine "Esperanto" -- and the BJA list,
which has also been accused of censorship). (*)

I should add here something about the history of UEA. It was founded in
1908, if I remember correctly, by Hector Hodler, and was intended as a
venue in which speakers of Esperanto could _escape_ from the then
horrendous arguments about "reforms", specifically the so-called Ido
crisis, which was then in full swing, and use the language in _practical_
ways. So discussions about reforms were specifically eschewed right from
the beginning, almost a hundred years ago. If UEA were to change that
policy today as a favor to Roy, for instance, I as a member would consider
this a violation of the organization's very purpose. UEA has enough
problems without letting this particular camel stick his nose into the tent.

---

(*) As everybody who has spent any time in Auxlang probably realizes, this
particular topic is also a fine source of tinder for flame wars; its
absence from the BJA list is probably the main reason why that fairly
high-volume list is so able to avoid such battles.

-- Don HARLOW

Novaj fabeloj ĵus aperis:
   Neĝulino, pri la belulino, la sendia duonpatrino, kaj la sep
malgrandeguloj:
     http://www.best.com/~donh/Esperanto/Literaturo/Noveloj/blua/negxulino.html
   Ljang Ŝanbo kaj Ĝju Jingtaj, pri la knabino, kiu devis maski sin kiel
knabo por viziti lernejon:
     http://www.best.com/~donh/Esperanto/Literaturo/Noveloj/liang.html