CONLANG  June 2000, Week 2

CONLANG June 2000, Week 2

infotainment: LANGUAGE EXPERTS SPEAK TO THE FUTURE

Jim Grossmann <[log in to unmask]>

Jim Grossmann <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 14 Jun 2000 22:16:28 -0700

> A panel of experts, including scientists, futurists and science-fiction
> writers, developed the plan to make WIPP an unwelcome place when it is
> retired in about 30 years.

Gosh, did this panel include any linguists?    And has anyone subjected the
pictographs to any scientific behavioral tests of how understandable they
are to people who are unfamiliar with them?

I am not impressed with futurists.   I haven't been since I read a book
called "Encounters with the Future" that predicted a Soviet invasion of
Australia.

The whole modern approach to trying to warn people away from nuclear waste
is laughable.  Basically, we are trying to create a sign that will enable us
to forget about the contaminated sites.   Furthermore, the sign has to be
tasteful and scientific-looking by 20th century standards.

It's astonishing that no one mentioned preserving relevant photographs
instead of pictographs, or preserving the corpses of radiation sickness
victims in special plastics.

Ancient peoples would have come up with better methods to create taboos that
last for centuries.

First off, the nuclear waste sites should be surrounded by walls and moats
both lined with huge spikes, whose points should be sharper than ice picks.
Impaled on the spikes should be hundreds of carcasses of animals killed off
by radiation.   The carcasses could be sprayed with special preservatives.

Also, there should be a religious order whose sole purpose is to warn the
unwary away from the site.   This religious order should have its monastic
centers situated on every route to the site.  The work of this order could
also include irradiating more livestock to create carcasses for the wall and
moat of spikes.

Should the religious order survive for thousands of years, then the language
problem is solved.   But even if the religious order survives only a few
hundred years, the records it leaves would be a few hundred years closer to
being decypherable by the people of the distant future.

Incidentally, genetic engineering may make it possible to create vats of
bacterial goo that emit revolting odors for hundreds and even thousands of
years.   That and the spikes should get the idea across.

Jim