CONLANG  July 2000, Week 2

CONLANG July 2000, Week 2

Re: What's the etymology of ketchup/catsup?

John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:41:07 -0400

Danny Wier wrote:

> My question is natlang-related: what is the etymology
> of "ketchup" or "catsup" (Hindi, right?), and why the two different spellings?

It's from Minnan Chinese ke tsiap 'fish sauce', and was originally highly similar
to that Greek fermented fish sauce, the name of which I forget.  Tomatoes of course
are a New World vegetable and didn't get into the act until later.

"Catsup" probably represents an approximation of the older pronunciation,
but AFAIK "ketchup" is now the universal pronunciation even though the older
spelling is retained by some.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>