CONLANG  July 2000, Week 2

CONLANG July 2000, Week 2

Re: A natlang-independant project

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:44:52 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Joe Mondello wrote:

>I havent decided yet, but this book could also tell a story, the best story I
>could think of is the story of life, from birth on.  if I pursue this course
>of action, the first words in the language would most likely be light, sound,
>heat and cold, food, need, and subsequent words would build off of this base.
> I am not, however, so set on this course of action.

Not that this is a bad idea, but these first words you've listed
seem a bit abstract. How would you picture "light" or "sound"?
A pictoral of some sort might be misconstrued by a reader of your
book. Just a point to keep in mind!

>Does anybody else keep a steady notebook in order to witness the evolution of
>their language?  for that matter, does anybody write definitions for their
>language's words *with* their language?

No. But this is a pretty damned cool idea! I shall have to try
this project some time.

Padraic.