CONLANG  July 2000, Week 3

CONLANG July 2000, Week 3

The infamous (overused yet appropriate) Genesis 11:1-9 in Kartesian

Josh <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Jul 2000 21:58:06 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

Okay.  I promised I would post this as there was some interest.

Djenesi 11:1-9

Uize vje rure u eme vi huci ui tidi ujaa re jeweve e se xufi tena r'ateve.
Ve ui mepe u Babilonime fasaa opaa vje jete svewive re duneve e visaa re
vezeve.  Ta re teve --Hii!  Se culdi nelii e celii.--  Tue se culdi voje
nele e vesi v'osvi dupide re jeweve.  Re teve --Dovi oje vuxe je vje tali
vadjivo puaa nelii e nase itece do e opaa huci mutere ne co.--  E Huhe ve
vje dovi e vje vuxi je nele re yive tie re duneve e re teve --Tue ui ruri
ot e ui tidi treleve.  Vjot vje uizi u xje si five ujaa ot.  Epayi je
xefive tupaa fe si deve!  S'hi e tii tidi si noyee e ta ne s'afisteve.--
Tue Huhe ti opaa vi huci re muteve e ti vje dovi nele re tureve.  Vje dove
Babilone peneree re cevo cide Huhe vje tidi u vje rure visaa re noyeve e
ti ti gue vise opaa vi huci re muteve.

Uize  [first]  used as adverb "firstly" or "at first"
vje rure  [the people]  collective noun
u eme vi huci  [of (all of) the world]
   I am considering changing this to the genitive:
   Vi hucii rure  [the world's people]
ui tidi  [one language]  accusative case
ujaa re jeweve  [only (past tense particle) (one has)]
   "one" refers to the world's people as a collective subject.
e se xufi tena  [and (plural particle) word same]  accusative case
r'ateve.  [(past tense particle CONTRACTED) (one uses)]
Ve ui mepe  [to (a/one) plain]
   There is no indefinite article in Kartesian.  If, for any reason, one
   sees it necessary to use an indefinite article, the word _ui_ meaning
   "one" (the number) may be used.
u Babilonime  [of Babylonia]
fasaa  [during/while]
opaa vje jete  [in the east]
re svewive  [(past tense particle) (one wanders)] subjunctive tense
   The subjunctive is used much more often in Kartesian than in romance
   languages.  I will discuss uses later.
re duneve  [(past tense particle) (one comes)]
e visaa  [and there]
re vezeve.  [(past tense particle) (one stays)]
Ta re teve  [(to oneself) (past tense particle) (one says)]
--Hii!  [Let's go!/Come on!]  imperative mood
Se culdi  [(plural particle) brick]  accusative case
nelii e celii.--  [(let's build) and (let's bake)]  imperative mood
Tue se culdi  [so (plural particle) brick]  accusative case
voje nele  [(for with) (to build)]
e vesi  [and mortar]
v'osvi dupide  [(for them*) (to connect)]
   In this case, the preposition does not take the nominative because
   _osvi_ (them) is actually the direct object.  The sentence actually
   transates:  ...and mortar to connect them.  More later.
re jeweve.  [(past tense particle) (one has)]
Re teve  [(past tense particle) (one says)]
--Dovi oje vuxe  [city with (a) tower]  accusative _dovi_
je vje tali vadjivo  [that the sky (it reaches)]  accusative _tali_,
   subjunctive _vadjivo_
   The word _je_ is very worked in Kartesian.  It is the imperfect tense
   particle, as well as the auxilliary verb "to have," as well as the
   clause marker "that" (He said THAT I should...), and probably something
   else too that I just can't think of right now.
puaa nelii  [now (let's build)]  imperative mood
e nase  [and ourselves]
   Here is an example of dative pronoun used as reflexive modifier.
itece do  [(to establish) (we can)]
e opaa huci  [and on earth]
muteree ne co.--  [lost (general negator) (we are)]
   This is an example of passive voice.  _muteree_ is the past participle
   of _mute_ (to scatter/to lose).  _muteree_co_ means "we are scattered."
E Huhe  [and God]
ve vje dovi  [for* the city]  accusative case
   _ve_ is the general direction word.  In this case, _ve_ will go along
   with the verb _tie_ to form "for to see".
e vje vuxi  [and the tower]  accusative case
je nele re yive  [that (to build) (past tense particle) (one has)]
   _nele_re_yive_:  "one had built" (compound tense)
re duneve e re teve  [(p.t.p.) (one comes) and (p.t.p.) (one says)]
--Tue ui ruri ot  [so one people (it is)]  accusative _ruri_
   Example of verb _ce_ conjugated in its copular
e ui tidi treleve.  [and one language (one speaks)]  accusative _tidi_
Vjot vje uizi  [this the beginning]  accusative _uizi_
u xje si five  [of (that which) (future tense particle) (one does)] subj.
ujaa ot.  [only (it is)]
Epayi je xefive  [anything that (one wants)]  subjunctive _xefive_
tupaa fe si deve!  [soon (to do) (future tense particle) (one can)]
S'hi  [(f.t.p.CONTRACTED) (I go)]
e tii tidi si noyee  [and one's language (f.t.p.) (I mix up)]
e ta ne s'afisteve.  [and oneself (negator) (f.t.p.C.) (one understands)]
Tue Huhe ti  [so God one]  accusative _ti_
   some pronouns are identical in both nominative and accusative.
opaa vi huci re muteve [in the world (p.t.p.) (one loses/scatters)]
e ti  [and one]
vje dovi nele re tureve.  [the city (to build) (p.t.p.) (one stops)]
Vje dove Babilone  [the city Babylon]  accusative _Babilone_
peneree re cevo  [named (p.t.p.) (it is)]
cide Huhe  [because God]
vje tidi u vje rure  [the language of the people] accusative _tidi_
visaa re noyeve  [here (p.t.p.) (one mixes up)]
e ti ti  [and one one]  accusative 2nd _ti_
   the first _ti_ refers to God, the second to the people.
gue vise  [from there]
opaa vi huci  [in the earth]
re muteve.  [(p.t.p.) (one loses/scatters)]

At first, the people of the whole world had only one language and used the
same words.  As they wandered about in the East, they came to a plain in
Babylonia and settled there.  They said to one another, "Come on!  Let's
make bricks and bake them hard."  So they had bricks to build with and tar
to hold them together.  They said, "Now let's build a city with a tower
that reaches the sky, so that we can make a name for ourselves and not be
scattered all over the earth."
Then the LORD came down to see the city and the tower which they had
built, and he said, "Now then, these are all one people and they speak one
language; this is just the beginning of what they are going to do.  Soon
they will be able to do anything they want!  Let us go down and mix up
their language so that they will not understand each other."  So the LORD
scattered them all over the earth, and they stopped building the city.
The city was called Babylon, because there the LORD mixed up the language
of all the people, and from there he scattered them all over the earth.

-- Josh :)