AUXLANG July 2000, Week 4

Re: nove IAL?

Kjell Rehnström <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 23 Jul 2000 09:03:02 +0200

Ken Caviness wrote:

> To me the whole point of a planlingvo is that it really truly be, for
> most people in the world, far easier to learn than your average
> exception-ridden "natural language".  In the event of governmental
> intervention in favor of some planned language, teachers could download
> and copy basic lessons from the net for their classes, and keep one
> lesson ahead of the class.  At least any teacher smarter than the
> average bear should be able to do this with any of the planlingvoj which
> I've studied.

I for one would suggest that both teachers and pupils download the same material at
the same time. If the language were Interlingua (or even Occidental) the modern
langauge teachers can manage to teach it. The whole class decides to make lesson one
the 1st week and teacher and alumni start learning and using the language from first
lesson on.

The teachers input is his training as a teacher, knowledge of language history,
linguistic elementa, methodics (if that is the English term) in teaching (perhaps
teaching skill). The teacher organizes the exercises.

Alumni's input: More receptive younger brains.

Grown up alumni's input: Different experiences to make the work flow easier.

Of course an academics class will by definition be taught in a different way than if
the alumni have no previous linguistic training (and only speak their maternal
language with or without some knowledge of English).

Please note that there is probably no Swede who doesn't know English words such as
"yes", "no", "I love you" (and the younger generation would add: "shit, fuck"... !

> (snippatum)
> I suppose we'd have to wait a year or so until the economic benefits of
> the second-language-for-everyone forced themselves on your attention.
> But I think you'd find yourself in the minority.  It is my opinion that
> the average person would resent less being forced to learn a regular,
> politically neutral language than the mother tongue of a neighboring
> tribe.

I dread the situation that the EU would start forced teaching of Interlingua in
Sweden. I can well imagine scores of people not wanting. "Why should we learn that EU
crap? They are just stealing our national freedom. A united Europe?! My a...!"

Only if it is in schools, in every school, where the teachers are _well_ educated,
where the parents think it is good. Then the International langauge can be taught in
schools.

Many a little child is interested in Dinosaurs. And they will know anything about
them, but make it a school subject and I guarantee something more boring than a
sunday afternoon!

My impression is that schools' language teaching is a bumble-bee. According to all
measuring the pupils wouldn't learn anything, but they do inspite of it all (if they
are interested).

The risc with language teaching from above is that the school takes any teacher to
teach the language. He/she is not interested, just takes the classes to get necessary
pay. The teacher cannos speak the language, doesn't bother to learn it. The result
will be that the pupils will have to read the texts, translate them into the mother
tongue, translate back, close tests. No conversation. When someone sais something in
the language the teacher goes "Uhh, aahhh?!" There are lots of such cases in our
beloved Europe. But everybody will learn if there is interest and motivation.

So, how do we make learning an auxilairy language fun? How do we equal an auxiliary
language to a satudray night on the town? Well gentlemen, that is the problem!

> > I think getting an IAL in use outside a movement (that is not yet another
> > congress _about_ the language) in some type of public discourse (business, law,
> > academics whatnot) is the first step. Any suggestions on how to get started
> > there?

One should take one's pet ideas and try to propagate them in the language.

> > Can you think of ways the company you work for could use Esperanto to get ahead
> > in the market? (I'm absolutely serious here, you know your company's situation,
> > I'm sure there's a leverage point you could use)
>
> I'm not much help at all on this.  Your ideas and comments in this area
> have been very interesting, but I learned Esperanto mostly just for the
> fun of it.  I didn't (and still don't) see any immediate gain to be
> obtained for me, except for the quiet sense of well-being achieved from
> the accomplishment of some not-too-difficult task, and the moral sense
> of having taken a step in the direction of levelling the world playing
> field.

There is, as far as I understand, two sides to the question of an international
language. One is surely political. It is a kind of democracy question that you can
support with the hope of future gains for yourself and all others. A kind of Pareto
agreament, as it were.

In the other case it is the direct economical benefit of using an auxiliary langage.
As it is now I have heard of very few examples where busineses or corporations have
decided to use an auxiliary language because this could be of good help to them.

There are lots of authors in exile in this world. Why shouldn't they be interested in
an auxiliary langauge?

> But I completely agree with you that if anyone could come up with some
> viable market-driven mechanism to launch an IAL, that might well do the
> trick.  If our brainstorming could open up such possibilities Auxlang
> would have more than justified its existence.  I don't have a lot of
> faith in government's common sense, so am not expecting the EU to adopt
> an IAL anytime soon.

Governments will only do what they have to do in order not to lose their power. They
could very well support the idea of an international language by burying it in an
enquiry committee. If we want to have a language we will have to do the work
ourselves.

First idea: Use it for your pet ideas!

Scripsit Cellus Purfluxius