AUXLANG August 2000, Week 4

Re: making a test only

Ken Caviness <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 27 Aug 2000 19:12:44 -0400

Regarding the recent purported destruction of an archive of Occidental
materials:

It seems Odd (to say the least) that someone would make a clear
statement and then complain because only 2 people had written to ask if
it were indeed true.  Such childishness!  If a person says that he did a
certain thing, then either we believe him or we don't.  Period.  If we
don't believe the initial message, why should we ask for confirmation
(from the same person!!!)  Would that give more reliable information?
Utterly ridiculous.  Do we expect someone who just lied to turn around
and tell the truth next time?  Or perhaps we should ask three times just
to be _completely_ sure?  Ha!

It is indeed ironic that this person now claims that everyone is
"playing games" who hasn't been convinced by his blatant propaganda
campaign (coupled with a smear campaign for all perceived adversaries).
This is offensive.  More, it's the Game-Player Himself ascribing his
character to the rest of us.  The posting claiming the destruction of
all of his Occidental materials is merely one more move in this
individual's game-playing.  Apparently he wouldn't know the truth if it
walked up and bit him on the

As a matter of fact, the whole sordid mess turns my stomach.

I wasted some valuable time starting a letter to the individual in
question, only to decide later that there was no point in sending the
message.  It didn't occur to me that he might be lying (and I still see
no reason why I should have thought so), so I believed that the
destruction of valuable linguistic materials had actually taken place,
but finally I decided that I had no wish to send any message to anyone
who had thus proven himself to be idiotic and egotistical, which seemed
the only charitable explanation for the purported action.  Some saw no
other explanation but that he was insane.

But others on the AUXLANG list expressed disbelief.  In retrospect that
attitude is understandable:  The individual in question has a long track
record of making exaggerated, over-blown claims and then playing all
sorts of games rather than provide evidence to back them up, all in the
name of "good salesmanship".  I suppose that from that to outright lying
isn't such a big step, we shouldn't have been surprised at all.

As for the ridiculous statement that this lying message was some sort of
"test", I think we can safely discount that.  It's just one more
evidence of this individual's contorted idea of salesmanship and
distorted idea of what constitutes honesty.

I would just hate to be accused of talking behind anyone's back, no
matter how clearly that individual has forfeited any right to our
respect, so a copy of this message is being forwarded to him.  But
although he didn't object to wasting our time, I'll save him the time
and trouble of responding to this message -- his response won't get past
my kill-file filter anyway.

And now, perhaps we can ignore this individual's desperate games and get
back to the subject.

Ken