CONLANG  September 2000, Week 1

CONLANG September 2000, Week 1

Re: Florin

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Sep 2000 13:04:34 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Nik Taylor wrote:

>Fakaltinátas nlakús "Thomas R. Wier":

>> This is still practiced, except that it is often a legal agreement between
>> two governments:  the US government, for example, produces a good
>> chunk of all the currency of any country in the world.
>
>Why?  And are there any other countries that produce American currency?

We did it for several reasons. It generates income for the country
that produces the coins. It assures quality and a continuous supply of
coins for a country that is too small or too poor to produce its own
coins. Sometimes, a country might be at war with another (like Belgium
in the mid 40s) and can't waste materials on coins. The US produced
some coins for Belgium at the time. Also, a country that is under the
dominion of another, like the Philipines early in the century, might
have their money made in the dominant country. In this case, it was
part of our "empire", so you can find San Francisco and Philadelphia
mint centavos and pesos (as well as Manila, which has the distinction
of being the only branch mint outside of the US). We also made coins
for the Kdm. of Hawaii.  The case of the Philipines is also quite
interesting because, while they are intended to be Philipine currency,
they are also quite literally US currency.

No other country produces US money (except for purposes of
subversion).

Padraic.