CONLANG  September 2000, Week 1

CONLANG September 2000, Week 1

Re: Nur-ellen in the world of Brithenig (was Re:Nur-ellen universes)

andrew <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 1 Sep 2000 23:33:41 +1200

Am 08/31 03:30  J?rg Rhiemeier yscrifef:

> Especially given the fact that scholars in Ill Bethisad are quite
> consensual that several characters from the legends, such as Merlin the
> wizard, were in fact Elves.

Who was associated with the Emperor Arthur.  The Chomro think highly of
Merddin Doeth.

> It doesn't help that there is quite a number of Elves engaged in Ill
> Party Gwirdd, which is certainly nothing Lla Gos Nustr is very fond of I
> guess.
I have found some UK election results and I have been working off them
to find out what the Senad might look like there.  Party Llafur
dominates lla Gas llo Chomyn.  Without proportional representation
parties like llo Thorech and Yn Gemr would only have a handful of seats.
One party state!  I still have to figure the English electrates *here*
that overlap into Kemr *there* though.

> I have not found an appropriate solution of this problem yet.  Of course
> we *could* say that the site has actually built over with a church, but
> it would be more fun if it was intact.  So why is it?  Well, quite a
> number of old holy sites *did* survive; we still have Stonehenge (both
> *here* and *there*) which has never been levelled in order to make room
> for a church.  It seems that intact pagan sites are quite frequent in
> Britain and the conversion-by-building-churches-on-old-holy-grounds
> policy is much more of a continental European phenomenon.

My own guess is that some of these sites are consider "nefed", open air
sacred sites.  During the Christian era they became associated with a
local saint.  They are used for pilgrimages and are maintained
communally.

> Perhaps it is appropriate to make some remarks on Elvish religion here.
> It is actually quite similar to what JRRT wrote in _The Silmarillion_.
> The Universe was created by the One (_Eru_), who is thus called
> _Iluvad`r_ ("Father of the Universe").  What is important is that,
> according to Elvish belief, God created Man to *create*, to enrich the
> world by making and preserving beautiful things.  To the Elves, artistic
> creativity is an act of religious worship!
>
> The religion is informal, there is no "church" or anything like that and
> no ordained priests, but artists have a priest-like status among Elves
> (which, however, does not mean that their works are sacrosanct - the
> Elves *do* have their tradition of art criticism).  Elvish religious
> celebrations take the shape of festivals of the arts, such as singing
> contests and similar events.
> This is what the _mirtled_ (sing. _mertlad_) are used for.

My first reaction on reading this description was _paleo-Baha'ism!_, but
I jest.

> among those right-leaning, SUV-driving, body-building masculist would-be
> heroes who no doubt exist *there* as well as *here*.

SUV?

> Apparently, neither Celts nor Romans translated the Elvish names they
> found in the Isles, but simply adopted them, having no idea about their
> meaning, as later did the Anglo-Saxons.  Otherwise, London would now be
> called Stillhaven ;-)

What a nice sounding name that is.  I must save it for future reference.

> > The closest town I know of is Pengryg' (Pencridge) west of the Trent,
>
> Which is 10 miles southwest of Tafrobl.  How many people live there?

Andrew wanders off and finds the Road Book of England & Wales (dated
1953) that he picked up at sale last year and finds the population
number 2560.  (Great Haywood doesn't even get a population number - must
be small *here*).

> As we are in the swing of discussing locations of cities, I have a
> question.
> Your pages mention a Kemrese city of Aberddui on "the northern River
> Dui".
> The names perfectly match Aberdeen, but does Kemr extend so far north???

No.  As Padraic has already mentioned the Dui is the Dee, known to the
Romans as the Deva.  Aberddui is approximately Chester.  It is the
provincial capital of Cluid.

> So add a P-Celtic minority, and be it a sort of Judaeo-Celtic (there are
> certainly Jews in Kemr; what is their traditional language besides the
> Hebrew they use for religious purposes?).

P-Celtic survives in the Channel Islands as have already been mentioned.
The rumour that secretive pockets of P-Celtic survive in Kemr have never
been verified and are officially discredited.

Jews arrived in Britain with the Normans.  I don't think they were
invited into Kemr.  I find the idea that Sephardic Jewish communities
settled in Kemr after their expulsion from Spain satisfying.

> > > [Germany in Ill Bethisad]

> If Kaiser Frederick survives, chances are indeed that Germany becomes a
> peaceful, civilized nation.  He is said to have been mild-mannered and
> liberal, very unlike his son Wilhelm II, who will still become Kaiser
> after the death of Frederick (unless he finds some untimely death), but
> only at a time when democratization has progressed to a point where he
> can achieve little more than ridiculing himself.

What would the succession be if Wilhelm is knocked out of the running?

On an irrelevant note I understand from the book _The Last Stuarts_ that
the current successor to the Stuart pretenders is the Duke of Bavaria.

> So, Brithenig is Romance on top of Indo-European on top of Elvish on top
> of Elvish ;-)

:-D

> P.P.S. Is the Sessiwn Kemres mailing list still alive?

It meets at irregular intervals on the Celticonlang list at egroups.
While a dedicated list is a nice idea I am reluctant to divide that
list.  (I would find a less commercial provider if I did!)

- andrew.
--
Andrew Smith, Intheologus                       [log in to unmask]

             Jesus Christ is raging, raging in the streets.