CONLANG  October 2000, Week 1

CONLANG October 2000, Week 1

Re: THEORY: final features, moras, and roots [was: it's what I do]

John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:03:14 -0400

Raymond Brown wrote:

> >not syllables.... if you've ever heard singing in Japanese, you'll hear each
> >mora as a seperate syllable, including "n".
>
> If this is so, then they are not morae.  It only makes sense to talk of
> morae if one can have, in the language, syllables that are at least
> bimoraic.

I interpret this to mean that when Japanese is *sung*, the morae are rendered
as full syllables, in the same sense that "Oh" is a single syllable in English,
but is sung as two in the first line of "The Star-Spangled Banner", viz.
"O-oh say can you see".  I know this is true of the first syllable of "Shina
no yoru" (the Japanese version of "I Left My Heart in San Francisco", so to speak).

--
There is / one art                   || John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>
no more / no less                    || http://www.reutershealth.com