CONLANG  October 2000, Week 1

CONLANG October 2000, Week 1

Re: [conlang] Digest Number 432

Nik Taylor <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Oct 2000 01:15:22 -0400

Irina Rempt wrote:
> My reason to have it is that I'm not imaginative enough to create
> something new every time I need it, and I have to guard against
> having too few roots (too many duplicates).

Ah, yeah, I can see that, I had that problem with my first conlang.

I usually take about half a minute or so to come up with a good one.  I
guess it just depends on the individual.  I like to use onomatopoeia for
some things, like "snake" is lasússu (la- being the gender prefix);
incidentally plural lafsúsui, because geminates cannot be followed by
glides, so automatic degemination occurs.

But, how long is your "spare roots" file?  A while back, I calculated
that there were 12,142,592 possible two-syllable roots in Utakassí.  It
would be fewer now, since I've added some more assimilatory processes,
but probably not much less than 9 million or so.

There are also some 3-syllable roots.

> It's the same with names:
> people complain that everybody in Valdyas is called the same

I have no names.  :-/  Names have to mean something, and I'm not sure
what kind of conventions should be used, nothing really sounds right.

--
Dievas dave dantis; Dievas duos duonos
God gave teeth; God will give bread - Lithuanian proverb