CONLANG  October 2000, Week 1

CONLANG October 2000, Week 1

Re: Conlangea Dreaming

Sally Caves <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Oct 2000 19:14:29 -0700

"M.S. Soderquist" wrote:

> I thought it was interesting that the queen's name was closer to
> "Elizabeth" than "Isabel". I only saw it in print under her portrait, so
> I don't know what that "h" is doing in there in the name-- whether there
> is the th ('thorn') sound (spelled 'ht'), if it is silent, or if it does
> something to the "e" right before it.

You were dreaming in Teonaht, obviously! <G> The "ht" is telling. The
name in T.
is Lihsbehhtita, and pronounced "lish-beth-THETA."  I'm not surprised
that
she was presiding over a lush tropical landscape.  I don't what the
Spanish
and Portuguese were doing there; perhaps she was an invited guest.

:-) :-)

> I am thinking about doing something conculturish with this island
> nation, and creating the language as I go along. :)

Dreams can be so inspiring!  Definitely go ahead on this!!!

Sally

"The gods have retractible claws."
                                from _The Gospel of Bastet_