CONLANG  October 2000, Week 3

CONLANG October 2000, Week 3

Re: I'm new!

jesse stephen bangs <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 21 Oct 2000 16:37:02 -0700

TEXT/PLAIN

> Don't feel like your alone czHANg.  I've been on this list since 1993 or 4
> and I don't think I've ever posted any info on one of my langs that
> generated more response than "Oh, uh huh, that's nice.  Next topic pleases!"
>   But I've kept reading anyhow and have found some good stuff here and
> there.  Every once in a while a post inspires YAC.

I think this may be mostly because it's difficult to pull together
coherent comments from a long description of a grammar.  Many people don't
have time to read involved discussions of phonology or whatever, and even
if they do, it's tough to get really interesting comments about something
so expansive.  For really *useful* comments, it's best to ask a very
specific question such as "What the hell is ergativity?" "Is it bad to
represent [a] with a heptagraph?" or "Is 12 moods too many."  (The
answer to that last one is 'yes.'  The earliest forms of Yivríndil had
about that many moods, and they made no sense at all.  I've since
repudiated such excess.)  Then present a few examples to show
exactly what you're concerned about.  When I've done that, I've gotten
good reactions.

Jesse S. Bangs [log in to unmask]
"It is of the new things that men tire--of fashions and proposals and
improvements and change.  It is the old things that startle and
intoxicate.  It is the old things that are young."
-G.K. Chesterton _The Napoleon of Notting Hill_