CONLANG  October 2000, Week 4

CONLANG October 2000, Week 4

Re: IPA (Was: Re: Hello, I'm new too)

John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:47:44 -0400

jesse stephen bangs wrote:

> Huh?  I've always thought that the curly-tailed [z] was the correct IPA
> symbol for the Spanish sound.  It's a voiced palatal fricative, just
> barely different from the voiced palatal approximant [j].  I care because
> my conlang has a phonemic difference between them!  Any more info on this?

The curly-tail-c (unvoiced) and curly-tail-z (voiced) are the Polish and
Mandarin sounds, which are marked by the tongue position: the tip is
behind the lower teeth.

--
There is / one art                   || John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>
no more / no less                    || http://www.reutershealth.com