CONLANG  October 2000, Week 4

CONLANG October 2000, Week 4

Re: Alienness, was I'm new!

Jim Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 22 Oct 2000 15:02:36 EDT

YHL wrote concerning perceived familiarity of "alien" cultures and political
systems in scifi.

In Druni and "alien" is called "munkabreditán" that is -
"external-to-our-planet-person".

As there are infinite ways in which biological systems as well as
social/religious/political system could evolve it is only reasonable to
hypothesize that they would fall with a large and broad spectrum or range fom
the "very Earthlike" on one side to the "very un-Earthly" on the other.  As
most scifi writers want to produce an outcome that is at least somewhat
accessible to their readers and in which they can explore themes with which
their readers can at least partially identify, the alienness of the created
world and its peoples (and languages) most often is kept within recognizable
bounds.  In the case of Drun, for example, the story, language, and culture
has been kept deliberately Earthlike studded with certain non-Terran
components.

There is also the question which I once before raised, as to whether any
human author, no matter how great our imaginations, can possible create a
construct that is truly alien to our own mental framework or perceptual
field.  IMHO anything we imagine or produce is thereby inherently human, no
matter how farfetched.  The underlying substrait is necessarily human.

Téray tá Térit talshú, murnízhe iidóva pilayári.
(From Earth, Earthly thoughts, this is all we know.)

Jim H