CONLANG  October 2000, Week 4

CONLANG October 2000, Week 4

Re: CHAT: "Mister" (WAS: Re: New Lang: Igassik)

John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:50:31 -0400

And Rosta wrote:

> Anybody who knew you
> would call you Jack/Woldy, & people who didn't presume to know you wd call
> you Mr Cowan, while people who presume to know you but don't wd call you
> John.

Actually, I model this rather well in the *surname* field: those who know
me call me /kaU=n/, whereas those who don't, usually say /koU=n/, id est,
"Cohen".

> --Dr Rosta. ["Andrew" to bank tellers, telemarketers and trying-to-be-clever
> internet sites.]

Hmm.  Perhaps we should declare CONLANG to be one of those organizations
in which all members are addressed as "Doctor" ex officio.  Then you could
be Doctor Doctor Rosta.

Not to be compared with that luminary of Ill Bethisad's Triune Monarchy,
Herra Doctor Doctor Doctor Doctor Doctor Doctor Doctor Eszterhazy (but the last
three doctorates are honorary).

--
There is / one art                   || John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>
no more / no less                    || http://www.reutershealth.com