SCUBA-L Archives

SCUBA-L@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

Monospaced Font

SCUBA-L Home

SCUBA-L  November 2000, Week 1

SCUBA-L November 2000, Week 1

Re: Scuba dunk-mesh-backpack, recommendations?

"Huntzinger, Hugh A [AMSTA-AR-CCL-B]" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 7 Nov 2000 12:35:32 -0500

Marv writes of his failing gearbag:

> ...Its quite large when unfolded; all my dive gear sans
> tank and weights, fits in this one bag, including towels,
> food bags, reg bag, and it has room to spare!

Everything? Egads! How much does it weigh out at? IMO, I wonder if
overloading might be part of the problem...

> Anyone recommend a similar bag of better quality? What's the
> brand? Can you point me to the website?

I use a traditional duffle-type of mesh bag. Got mine from LL Bean and I'm
pleased with how well its been holding up.

Bean offered them in 3 sizes and while the large size is big enough to fit
"everything", I split up my gear into two bags (a Large + a Medium), mostly
to reduce individual bag weight for easier carrying, but I suspect that this
improves bag longevity too.

I have a third bag for "non-dunk" items. Its a drawstring top, nylon
bottom, & mesh sides with shoulder strap. I have no idea of brand, but I've
seen it fairly often in catalogs as a snorkeling-type bag. BTW, I *like*
the nylon bottom in this bag because it won't allow small things to drop
through...I'd get this same bag again.

Because Paul's response seemed to sound more like luggage(??), I'll mention
that I use a rolling soft sided duffle bag, of the "no diving logo" variety.

I've also used a frameless/softside carry-on bag (9"x21"x13") that has
frequently surprised me with its versatility/capacity. Not that I really
recommend it for dive gear (although I've done it), but rather as an
excellent carry-on bag worth consideration. No wheels, but it has backpack
straps, which can be a better choice at times (YMMV). Its listed at the top
of the page as item# ACRS at:
http://www.ricksteves.com/services/backpacks.htm

-Hugh