CONLANG January 2001, Week 2

Re: Q & X

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Jan 2001 19:49:51 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Tero Vilkesalo wrote:

>Hi to all!

Hi yersel!

>I am new on the list. I followed your discussion here a little in the summer
>and then again in december. This really is a most interesting forum!
>
>My name is Tero Vilkesalo and I am a 20-year-old boy from Helsinki, Finland.
>It's been interesting to see how the Finnish language is being mentioned
>here.

We have a lot of Finns. I think you're about number 4 or 5 that I
can think of.

>You can say I'm "bitten by the conlang bug". But I like many kinds of
>creative work. Currently, and probably in the future as well, my primary
>interest will be composing music, art music that is. I am a composition
>student in the Sibelius Academy, which is the only music university in
>Finland. That means somewhere in the future I might well be composing for
>living. (That IS possible, at least in Finland, for the most distinguished.)

Good luck with it! You'll also find that not a few of us are
musical composers (to some greater or lesser degree) or at
least musically talented.

>My new surname, Vilkesalo, is purely Finnish as well, just like my
>roots. I did have a thought of how foreign people would pronounce it. This
>surname really didn't seem too difficult. Or what do you say?

/'vikVsallow/

>Something about articles... If I would ask you anything, it would probably
>be "should I try use the articles even if I couldn't care less?"

If you don't want something in your conlang, don't put it there!
(Unless you are sensitive to where your conlangs will take you
and how they make themselves (rather than you making them) - they
might _demand_ articles in spite of your most valiant attempts
at eradicating them.)

Padraic.