CONLANG  January 2001, Week 2

CONLANG January 2001, Week 2

Re: Conscripts (was Re: Moi, le Kou)

Steg Belsky <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 13 Jan 2001 21:08:56 -0500

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 10:56:34 +0900 Yoon Ha Lee <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> BTW, thanks for the aleph-writing lesson.  <smacking self on head>
> Intellectually, I *know* (unless I'm badly mistaken again) Hebrew is
> written
> right-to-left, but I always *forget* that when I'm trying to write
> the
> thing.  Very helpful.  :-)  <much enlightened look>  D'you happen to
> know
> where the broad/thin strokes come from?  They look quite lovely, but
> they
> don't look quite calligraphic and I'm at a loss as to how they're
> produced,
> unless it's a typeset-font thing.
>
> YHL
-

Hmm... i think it depends what font is being used to write the letters.
I know that in the 'font' used for scribing Torah scrolls there are thin
and thick lines... something to do with the quill used to write it, i
think.  Checking the Hebrew fonts i have on my computer, whenever a
thin/thick line distinction is made, it's always the horizontal lines
that are thick.  The most striking exception to this rule is the font
called "Odd Font", fittingly enough :-) .
So the broad/thin strokes are probably descended from quill-style
writing.

-Stephen (Steg)
 "ma natata li, nagid? ma yesh li itekha?
  lo' `avar velo' `atid, ani lo' tzrikha otkha..."
     ~ Sarit Hhadad, "Yam Shel Ahava"