CONLANG  January 2001, Week 2

CONLANG January 2001, Week 2

Re: Q & X

Barry Garcia <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:13:27 -0800

[log in to unmask] writes:

First, welcome to the list.

>And now to a real question. Which sounds do you write with the letter Q
>or X
>in your a priori conlangs with Latin alphabet? What different sounds do
>they
>reflect in those languages of the world that use Latin alphabet? (What is
>in Greenlandic???)

In Montreiano (one of the various Romance langs on the list), I use q + u
for representing the sound /k/ with front vowels - /i/, /e/:

that, who - que: /ke/
who, whom - qui: /ki/

X is used to represent /S/ as in Portuguese, and old Spanish:

low - baxo: /BaSo/

In my now dormant  (in other words i'm not currently working on it)
conlang Saalangal (styled to sound similar to an Indonesian or Philippine
lang), x is not used, but q is used for the glottal stop:

bird - pak˙q: /paku?/

I've been losing, a grip on what I used to hold
If i could get another chance, I'd put it in a ziplock bag
And keep it in my pocket