CONLANG  January 2001, Week 2

CONLANG January 2001, Week 2

Re: Creative spelling scheme

Elliott Lash <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Jan 2001 15:19:42 EST

As an intellectual challenge, I've created an English spelling
 scheme that works with my dialect.

 It is not intended to be 100% phonetic, or even unambiguous. It is
 mostly so (compared to the status quo), but with enough exceptions to
 make it interesting and give it character.

 An apostrophe ' will denote a diacritic on the previous letter.
 Examples will be given as English word followed by reformed (Englhec)
 spelling.

 Vowels
 ------

 Of the five vowels, all except 'i' may carry a diacritic.
 Long vowels are a digraph ending in 'o'. This may change quality.
 Some vowels (e'o, u'o) are always spelt as though they were long. *
 For miscellaneous vowels, round off to nearest listed vowel.

 * except in vowel clusters and diphthongs.

    "bat"    = bat      "bet"    = ba't
    "bad"    = baod     "bird"   = bu'od
    "bit"    = bet      "beat"   = beot
    "bottle" = bottl    "book"   = bo'k
    "bored"  = bood     "school" = sko'ol
    "bud"    = bud      (schwa)  = i
    "bard"   = buod     "boot"   = be'ot

 Vowel clusters and diphthongs
 -----------------------------

 In vowel clusters, where two vowels are distinctly pronounced with an
 implicit light consonant between them, the length of the vowels are
 not indicated (i.e. the 'o' in a digraph is dropped).

 In diphthongs, length is not indicated and all diacritics are dropped.
 It is agreed that "oh" = ie and "eye" = ue.

 Stress
 ------

 * If the final syllable ends with a vowel and is stressed, a 'h' is
   placed after it.
 * If a _single_ consonant follows a stressed vowel, the consonant is
   doubled.
 * If two or more consonants follow a stressed vowel, regardless of
   which syllable the consonants are part of, a 'h' follows the
   cluster.

 Monosyllablic words are not considered stressed.

 Consonants
 ----------

    Main deviations from English:

    "sh" = c     "th" (unvoiced) = hs
    "ch" = tc    "th" (voiced)   = hz
    "j"  = dj

 Examples
 --------

    "Adrian Paul Morgan" = Aedrhein Po'ol Mo'oggin
    "T-shirt"            = teoccu'ot
    "go away"            = gie iwaeh
    "father"             = fuohzhi
    "sarsaparilla"       = suozphira'lli
    "America"            = Ima'reki
    "Australia"          = Istraellei
    "Jesus Christ"       = Djeozziz Kruest

 Very very interesting ... I especially like the diagraphs hz and hs. I'm a
bit confused why you chose ue = /ai/ (is that right?) and ie = /o:/. This
seems a bit backwards to me, perhaps you could explain the choice.

Elliott