CONLANG  January 2001, Week 2

CONLANG January 2001, Week 2

Re: Creative spelling scheme

Morgan Palaeo Associates <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:53:12 +1030

Steg Belsky wrote, quoting myself:

> It's very interesting... it's a lot different than the systems that
> i've used, and seems sort of counter-intuitive to me, but if it works
> for you, great!

Put it this way ... I believe it's *as* intuitive as a semi-phonetic
rendering of a modern English dialect can be if restricted to Latin
characters (with minimal use of diacritics). We all know that the
language and the alphabet simply don't fit.

See my reply to Eliott for some recent changes.

> Marking stress with consonants: good idea.

I think it works well. I find that a problem with most simplifified
spelling systems is that it's very hard to read them with any sense
of rhythm. Therefore I've tried to ensure that the length of a word
is a reasonable approximation of its "weight", if you like (factors
contributing to weight being stress, tightness, length, etc). The
tightest vowels are the ones that are always spelt as though they
were long, lengths of vowels are generally indicated, and an extra
consonant is added for stress.

> >    "Jesus Christ"       = Djeozziz Kruest
>
> The final {s} in "Jesus" is voiced in your dialect?

Yes?

Adrian.