CONLANG  February 2001, Week 1

CONLANG February 2001, Week 1

Re: A DISTURBING proposal! (was Re: Personal langs and converse ofaux)

Levi Caddell <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Feb 2001 11:46:57 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

Lots of emotion here...... but......

If my understanding is correct... there have been people that have taught
their children Esperanto as a first or "family" language.  I don't have
much information on this, however, if it had been a disaster it would
probably be on the news or something.  :-)

I am an American with a German wife. We have five kids and we have lived
in both Germany and the US.  (currently in the US)  We both speak each
others native language fluently as well as a couple of other languages.

Our kids are have been raised tri-lingual.  They speak English, German and
French.  At home we always speak the language of the country that we are
not in - when in Germany or language is English - when in Germany our
language English.  French they learned from a friend that was sort of a
nanny or adopted aunt.

The kids sorted all of this out and seemed to know what language to speak
to who and when - even at an earlier.  The only difference we have noticed
is that they started speaking at a later age - about six months later than
noraml.

For a while we were good friends with a family from Holand that had
several kids about the age of ours.  One day while the kids were playing
we noticed that our kids were speaking Dutch with the neighbor kids when
at their house.  When at our house the neighbor's kids had picked up
English. (This was in Germany.)

Kids seem to have flexiable minds.  The seem to catagorize and
compartmentalize things.  I believe that the best time to learn language
skills is at this very young age.  Our kids are now perfectly fluent in
German and English (accent free).  French they understand and can speak
when necessary.  ;-)

I someone wants to design a language and use it as a family language I can
only say "let me watch please."  If there is consistancy you may end up
with kids that have better than average ability with languages.  As for
the local languages - don't worry they will pick them up on their own.  It
is just how a kid's mind works.

Levi

Spirit Bear (ShinZui Guma)

Naturally of course... as our Creator intended!

Levi Caddell
w3.one.net/~levica
ICQ: 19541914 (PapaBare)