CONLANG  February 2001, Week 1

CONLANG February 2001, Week 1

Re: A DISTURBING proposal! (was Re: Personal langs and converse of aux)

E-Ching Ng <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Feb 2001 21:04:47 -0500

Jörg (and Marcus),

I think the reason you're reacting so violently to Brian Phillips compared
to everyone else is that Brian didn't explain in detail how he's going to
use his conlang with his kids.  I don't think anyone else understood it to
mean what you meant.

I grew up in a household where three languages were routinely spoken, and I
was fluent in the two that were spoken to me before I turned five -
Mandarin and Hokkien.  (As luck would have it, we then moved to England for
a couple of years and so it was English, that third language, that I needed
to survive outside the home - oh well - but now it's my best language, and
it's the other two which I'm no longer fully fluent in.)

There's an American non-immigrant living downstairs from me who speaks only
conlang to her elder sister; they invented it as children and its lexicon
is fiercely guarded from everyone else, including their parents.  Her
English certainly hasn't suffered - and they wouldn't give it up for
anything.  Last I heard they were going to institute SOV word order, now
that they've both learnt Latin.

I assumed that Brian was proposing a similar bilingual situation for his
kids, since he said he was hoping it would be a "first" - in quotation
marks - language for his kids.  In fact I still can't imagine how English
wouldn't be spoken in the house, unless Brian's wife is a conlanger
too!  And I don't see why you assume that you have to lock your kids away
in order to teach them a language.  Exclusive usually means that no one
else understands it, not that you understand no one else.  I have to say
that IF Brian's going to deliberately not teach his kids English, then
that's not ethical by my lights - kids don't need that extra handicap
adjusting to the outside world - but I don't see where you got the
assumption that he wasn't going to.

I will agree that it sounds pretty much impossible to work, but what are
auxlangs for but to attempt the impossible?  Either it works and the kids
have a secret family language, whether or not they're good at learning
other languages later on; or it doesn't work and Brian figures that out
along the way and goes the practical path of the sleep-deprived young parent.

Brian, I'm not trying to speak for you, I just couldn't concentrate on
other things till I replied to this e-mail from my own experience - I'm
keen to hear what you're going to say to Jörg and Marcus.

E-Ching