CONLANG  February 2001, Week 2

CONLANG February 2001, Week 2

Re: Blade II language: The price of conlanging

Levi Caddell <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Feb 2001 21:45:30 -0500

Matt,

Hummmm,  I am a more than a bit surprised at some of the comments.  I am
just wondering if any of you actually have your own business - one where you
have to support yourself and your family, not a hobby business.

To give you an idea of such a value I spoke with a friend who produces local
commercials here in the Cincinnati, Ohio area.  His formula was:
- Price a full time job doing this would pay times 3
 - Then realizing as a consultant that your work will not be steady you will
need to spend about 50% of your time looking for work.  So, take that number
times 2.
- Also, the cost of material used, insurance, etc.  This should be about 10%

Now the numbers.
- Average professional makes about $24 per hour in this area.  A Ph.D..
would make about 3-4 times that, but let us take the average.

24 x 3 = 72 x 2 = 144
144 x .10 = 14.4
144 + 14 = 158

You should be getting about $158 per hour for your work.

Figure a 8 hr work day:  158 x 8 = $1264 per day.

I would guess that it would take at least  24 man hours of work to present
them with a basic dialogue if you do it right.  However, keep in mind that
directors and producers will want you to make all kinds of changes.  Will
they pay for this by the hour or should you roll it into the lump sum
figure.

At $3000 your price was a bargain for them.

If Snipes is in this move he alone will be making millions for his role.
The support people will be paid union or guild wages.  You might want to
check what they are being paid.  However, remember you have a Ph.D..  They
may not even have a HS Diploma.

This may be a hobby for some of us, but you are a professional linguist.

As a registered Interpreter for the Deaf I used to make $55 / hr back in the
70's and 80's.  People who translate languages for business purposes often
make much more.

Matt, don't sell yourself short.    My producer friend here said they would
probably be coming back to you if they are smart.

Also, I have been kind of wondering... Do you know what Prof. Fromkin was
paid for the first script?

Levi
Levi Caddell