SCUBA-L@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

Monospaced Font

SCUBA-L Home

SCUBA-L  February 2001, Week 3

SCUBA-L February 2001, Week 3

Re: Spearing

Gerry and Joal Smith <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Feb 2001 15:47:16 -0600

The subject of taking fish out of the water is very perplexing to me. As I
see it, there are 4 ways it is done. Some are better than others.
1. Large Volume Commercial Fishing - There are just not enough controls on
this. This wholesale slaughter of wild animals is seriously depleting the
ocean wildlife. No wild land animal is hunted in this high volume way. Sure,
fishing is a hard life, but the seas are not our stockyards. Also, the
amount of "trash" fish killed and thrown back is staggering. I don't know
what to do. I feel for the fishermen ( even the dynamiters) and I feel for
the fish. So much is made about protecting dolphins from tuna fishers and
turtles from shrimpers. What about the poor Tuna and shrimp? I do eat fish,
but I avoid the ones that are in danger of being eliminated like Swordfish,
Orange Ruffy and the like. Ever since a Grouper hugged me at Cayman Brac, I
have not been able to eat one.
2. Fish Capture - I probably could stand this if it were not for the high
percentage of fish that never make it to the aquarium. Less than 2% survive,
I understand. Also, seeing how barren certain parts of Hawaii are from
over-capture, I see that the fish taken for this are the same ones we dive
to visit.
3. Line sport fishermen. My problem with this is the cruel treatment fish
receive being hauled in by rod and reel. How would you like to have a steel
spike driven through your cheek, and be pulled the length of a football
field on your belly by that spike? Or even worse, you might have that spike
stuck in your throat. Then when you reach the goal line, the spike is ripped
out and you are held underwater to drown. Or if you are lucky, the spike is
wrenched out and you can go play some more on the playground until someone
else spikes you again. That would simulate the fish's experience being
caught.
4. Spear fishing. I think this most closely simulates our sport hunting on
land. Done right, it is the most humane and least damaging fishing we do.
Karla seems to be doing it right. I hate to see it happening, but when I
compare it with other methods, at least it is the better of the evils.

I will never be a vegetarian. I am not so naive as to think all the meat I
eat comes from animals that wanted to die. But, fish are my friends and I
hate to see them go.

Regards,
Gerry