CONLANG  March 2001, Week 2

CONLANG March 2001, Week 2

Re: religious terms

Barry Garcia <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:25:31 -0800

[log in to unmask] writes:
>When I was in Seville, I ate at a Chinese restaurant where the owners told
>me that most of the Chinese in the area were from Zhejiang - friends of
>relatives of friends, you know that kind of thing.  I don't know whether
>they meant just Seville or southern Spain in general, though, and I don't
>know if the current immigrant situation in Spain would be relevant to
>Montreiano speakers.  Also, according to
>http://www.magma.ca/~mtooker/cities/zhejiang.htm , Zhejiang is at a
>confluence of three major dialect areas, so I guess you might as well go
>with one of those dialects instead.  I'm just curious why your fishing
>terms should come from Chinese ... any specific reason?
>
>E-Ching

Well, the area in Spain i established as the area the Montreianos come
from is somewhat on the east central border of spain with Portugal. Also,
when did the immigrants from Zhejiang arrive in Spain? Most Montreianos
left to colonize their current territory around the late 1600's to mid
1700's. Most of the Chinese settlers in Monterey in our era came in the
1800's to fish the seas here for abundant squid (the smell of drying squid
was the major complain of Montereyans in the 1800's though the canneries
smelled worse i hear). The reason i'd take Chinese fishing terms in is
because i think the main reason (like in our time) for Chinese fishermen
to come to Montrei is to fish for squid (and probably abalone).  But, i'm
also trying to figure out what other terms would be borrowed in.

I want Montreiano to have a good base of borrowed words. I have all the
Rumsen words i can think of borrowed in and "montreianoized". I dont think
the word base would be too huge, but i want something of them taken into
the language (i'll have to find a source for chumash words, since Montrei
territory extends into their area, which may be a good for a southern
dialect.