CONLANG  April 2001, Week 2

CONLANG April 2001, Week 2

Re: orthography and pronunciation

John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:29:44 -0400

Oskar Gudlaugsson scripsit:

> In a 1000 years, 20th century English will probably be referred to as
> "Classical English", and will be studied by a few nutballs.

Quite likely.

> There will be
> diverse speculations about its sound inventory;

Not unless there has been a fall of civilization in the meantime.
Otherwise, our descendants will be able to read Chomsky & Halle and
Trager & Smith in the original bits.

        Not even the most diligently destructive barbarian can
        extirpate the written word from a culture in which
        the *minimum* print run of most books is 1500 copies --
        there are simply too many books.
                --L. Sprague de Camp, _Lest Darkness Fall_.

--
John Cowan                                   [log in to unmask]
One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore