CONLANG  April 2001, Week 2

CONLANG April 2001, Week 2

Re: onomatopoetic animal sounds

Herman Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Apr 2001 22:51:21 -0400

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 16:52:15 -0700, J Matthew Pearson
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Actually, I've contemplated introducing a loophole.  The Tokana belong to a vast
>trading network which extends up and down the Pacific coast from Alaska to the
>tip of the Baja Peninsula, whence it connects up with other trading networks
>extending down into Mesoamerica and points south.  It was through this trade
>network that the Tokana acquired llamas from South America (approximately 100
>years before the fictional present).

Would they have been familiar with small Central American cats like the
margay and ocelot? When I decided to base the Czirehlat animal names on
North American species (as much as possible), I picked the ocelot since
some live as far north as the southwestern US, but margays are only
slightly bigger than domestic cats, and there are other kinds of small cats
living in South America.