CONLANG  May 2001, Week 2

CONLANG May 2001, Week 2

Re: 'born'

Sven Sommerfeld <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 May 2001 23:28:07 +0200

> > > "...the city is still becoming. There may be arguments
> > > as to what it's becoming, but no one can reasonably
> > > doubt that the place is still giving birth to itself."
>
>"Becoming" means "attractive"?
>
>Anyway, I think the author is using "become" to simply mean "change",
>i.e., "The city is becoming [something]".  Look at the next sentence,
>"... what it's becoming".

"The city is still becoming" does mean the same as "the place is still
giving birth to itself" and I am still wondering how to express one of
these expression in my major conlang. I even tried some similar expressions
like
  "coming into being" or
  "being in the making" :->>> or simply
  "emerging" or even simplier
  "developing"

Though I haven't got the terms yet, I can say, that especially the last
ones would be quite easy. Anyway, these are all ways to express "the fact
of being in the process of becoming a 'real' city". :)

I would use some kind of intrasitive verb like "to emerge, to develop" or
some kind of copula or participle and an essive/translative noun structure
(at least that's what I would do in my conlang)

Sven