CONLANG  May 2001, Week 2

CONLANG May 2001, Week 2

Re: Sensible passives (was: confession: roots)

Steg Belsky <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 May 2001 19:56:04 -0400

On Thu, 10 May 2001 17:21:33 -0500 Eric Christopherson
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 02:26:00PM -0400, Steg Belsky wrote:
> > -Stephen (Steg)
> >  "Lympyyzh dy sangry?  Lympyyzh dy dt!"
> >      ~ unofficial national motto of "Mueva Sefarad" (Mueva Sefará?)
>
> ¿Limpieza de qué?
>
> --
> Eric Christopherson / *Aiworegs Ghristobhorosyo
-

"¿Limpieza de sangre?  ¡Limpieza de dat!"

_Limpieza de Sangre_ ("purity of blood") was the name of the
discriminatory policy Spain adopted towards the descendents of Jewish
converts to Christianity during the late middle ages and renaiscence
periods.  It's not even that they assumed that all 'conversos' were
anusím ("marranos", crypto-jews) - whether they were faithful christians
or not, their blood wasn't "pure" enough for holding certain governmental
and religious offices.

"Mueva (=Nueva) Sefarad" is the name of the Judeo-Spanish North American
nation in whatever alternate timeline it fits in. (possibly Ill
Bethisad?)  That unofficial motto is their response to the Spaniards:
"[who cares about] Purity of Blood?  [all that matters is] purity of
religion!" (_dat_ = "religion" in Hebrew).  It's sort of a "we left and
are doing perfectly well on our own, thank-you-very-much and screw you!"
angry kind of reaction.

-Stephen (Steg)
 "Kai ka'ei a'amanateih."
 (Kai stands by his beliefs)