AUXLANG May 2001, Week 3

Response to Petry

STAN MULAIK <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 21 May 2001 14:50:41 -0400

Newsgroups: europa.linguas
*       From: [log in to unmask] (Stanley Mulaik)
*       Subject: Re: YUN and Stan's question.
*       Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 05:52:01 +0000 (UTC)
*       Organization: Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG
*       Mail-From: [log in to unmask] from smtp10.atl.mindspring.net [207.69.200.246]

}
Bob Petry says:
}
}Often folks who think they understand Occidental from a far distance, ask a
}typical question repeated by critics
}not interested in the language, but who wish to find the loose brick in the
}wall to try and make it crumble, so they can support their language(s) of
}preference.
}
}So, as has been done so often by others, Stan asks the same question again
}that critics have asked hundreds of times in the past, and no matter the
}answer, NEVER see, hear or understand the answer. Why? Prejudice? And, too
}often because they are forming the next "devastating" question before the
}answer is finished. Thus, they never hear or remember the simple
}answer!!!!!! And, I DOUBT seriously if tomorrow anyone will admit reading
}this information about the word YUN. They will just continue to espouse the
}old false stupid nonsensical argument that Occidental uses words like YUN
}that are not international.

Bob, no need to wallow in the role of the poor misunderstood victim. I do
indeed feel sorry for you, that no one fully understands or appreciates
your sense of victimization at the hands of the big, powerful prejudiced
opposing auxiliary languages.  It is an uphill battle you fight.

I saw "yun" used in some text written by Edgar de Wahl in his collected
works "Spiritu de Occidental", which is the only document I have other
than some old Cosmoglottas and the Radicarium that a Russian Occidentalist
made available to me through the web, so I presumed it was in the
vocabulary.  If you want to sell me a more up to date dictionary and
grammar, I'd be obliged.
:
[snip]
:
}Now, yun is used in Occidental. But, Stan, as typical of critics who
}won't/can't look further, then states that "juvene" is certainly more
}international than "yun". Well, now, that settles it doesn't it?

I can't look further because I don't have access to further materials,
and am seeking your help to know how Occidental arrives at the words
it has in the forms they have.  You seem bent on denying me that
information.  Why?

}
}So, here we have a less international Occidental word, YUN up against a
}more international Interlingua word, juvene, right?

Well, yes!

}
}Why, then, as all the blinded critics do, stop right there and don't listen
}to the answer. Yep, it's settled, so don't need to listen to the answer.
}
:
[snip]
:
}Simple. The international word used in Occidental is "juven". Look again,
}"juven". Now, LOOK AGAIN, the Occidental is JUVEN without the final e that
}ILa uses ala Dr. Gode's preference. Now, once again, READ and ABSORD the
}answer, the most international word used in Occidental is JUVEN. Stan is
}wrong to stop with the fact that Occidental also uses YUN.

I don't have any other Occidental dictionary except the Radicarium.  It
doesn't contain "juven".  None of the local libraries has an Occidental
Dictionary.  So, I can't repeatedly look as you suggest.

}
}YUN is used often because it gives a regularity to the derivations
possible,
}and because it is easily understood within a context.

This is not the answer to the question I seek.  I want to know how
Occidental extracts and standardizes words from its source languages.
The consideration about making derivations possible, etc. is irrelevant
to my question.  Does Occidental accept all Latin words if they
occur in essentially the Latin form in at least one of its source
languages?  Is "YUN" Latin or Germanic?  It looked Germanic.
}
}I told Stan to stop going to the Radicarium since he will arrive at false
}answers there. The Radicarium was the first publishing of a BEGINNING word
}list for Occidental.

Well, sell me a more up to date dictionary, and I will stop using the
Radicarium.

}
}Now, JUVEN was used and recorded in the OFFICIAL Occidental word lists LONG
}BEFORE Gode came along and added an e to the ending and used JUVENe.

That's great!

What justification did the Occidentalists have for including the word in
their dictionary?  What principle of method would lead them to include
that word along with "yun"?  Why not "jung"?

[snip]

}
}JUVEN is officially listed in 1928!!!! NOT 1943 or later, in G
r's
}Deutsch-Occidental W rterbuch on page 1966. Now, remember, this is 1928 a
}very long time before the IED hit the streets. "jung, yun, jun, juven".
Like
}I said, Gode only had to add the final -e in many words, among other little
}things, and voil , the IED.

But Gode didn't look JUVENE up in that W rterbuch. He had to extract
it as the prototypic Latin parent "juvenis" -> Ila  "juvene" (-is => -e)
of its following set of children and grandchildren:

Fr. jeune,      It.  giovane      Sp.  joven       Pt. jovem
    jeunesse         giovent           juventud        juventude
    rejeunir         ringiovanire      rejuvenecer     rejuvenescer
    juv nile         giovanile         juvenil         juvenil
    junior           junior            junior
English: young, youth, rejuvenate, juvenile, junior

So, if Gode had a method of extracting this from the source languages,
what method did Occidental have?  Can you really say, or are you simply
stalling for time until you figure it out yourself?

}Oh, what about the Radicarium? Well, on page 73 we find the word "junior" =
}yun. Ah, from a derivative we find jun, yun, from which we can get JUNior.
};-)

Am I to interpret that as hysterical, maniacal laughter? ;-|

}
}And, lo and behold, on page 213 of the IED, voil  we have "junior" =
junior,
}yOunger. And, the IED was produced DECADES AFTER the Rad. and Gar!!

Of course it was.  It was a later effort to use a more scientific approach
to establishing the international vocabulary.  Is "junior" in the
Occidental vocabulary?  If so, by what reason?  In Interlingua it is
there because it is a prototype from Latin of the same identical word
in the source languages.

Where does the "Y-" come from?  If you get this from "junior" (which in
Latin was the comparative of "juvenis"), why not "jun"?  My Chambers
Murray Latin Dictionary says "junior" seems to be an irregular
derivative of a possible earlier *juvenior.  "jun-" is not itself an
active root in any of the source languages.  Interlingua treats "junior"
as a distinct word not in the derivational family of "juvene".  It seems
then that you defend the existence of a root "yun" = "jun" on the grounds
that it must be a root because the comparative -ior is on the end of it.

}
}Shades of covered eyeballs, Occidental had em all first, usually without
}the -e, which is not necessary.
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's not necessary in Interlingua either except to indicate that the
stress is to be placed on the third to last vowel instead of the usual
vowel before the last consonant, which is accomplished by including an
-e at the end of certain adjectives that would end otherwise in a
consonant of -l, -n, or -r and place the stress on the preceding vowel.
Thus JUvene and not juVEN.  FRAgile and not fraGIL.  But there is
civil, identical, feminin, juvenil.

[snip]

}Wow, just think of the other words Stan brought up, hmmmm? ;--))), I wonder
}if they have an answer too?...

I'm sure they have an answer, and I'm trying to get you to tell me what
it is.

We could settle this right now if you could show that Occidental was
using all the same methods that Interlingua was using.  So far, I've
seen no mention in "Spiritu de Occidental" of prototypes.  Otherwise,
IALA used a slightly different methodology to get its basic vocabulary
before applying a priori subjective considerations about simplicity
and regularity, which explains why they are not exactly the same
languages.

}
}Should we tackle another word? See, de Wahl said, they can't attack the
}basic foundation of the language, only the words out on the farthest twig
}which sometimes have to be used until a better word is found or appears in
}the international usage column.

This is so paranoid, Bob. Everyone's out to attack you, when it is you
who started out this series by attacking Interlingua as a rip-off of
Occidental.  I'm trying to understand why Occidental is still
different from Interlingua, which shows up in different forms in
the two languages.  I rather doubt that I or any Interlinguaist will
attack the basic foundation of Occidental in the international
vocabulary.  We are brothers on that score.  We differ to the degree
that de Wahl introduces a priori structures that often modify the natural
forms of the international words - which he seems to perfectly well
know.  We don't think they are necessary.  We think the problem of
learning the language is not in its natural grammatical structure,
but in simply exposing the regularity of that natural structure
as it is.  All Occidental seems to be is a kind of artificial
learning device for mastering the international vocabulary.  Many
of those learning devices can be incorporated, not in the language,
but in the teaching of the language.  The international vocabulary
has a highly regular but natural derivational system, derived from the
inflectional structures of Latin and Greek.  The task is to expose
it.  Accept it as it is rather than as something that needs to be
modified to make word derivation simple. It's already simple.

We also think that IALA had a more rigorous and systematic approch
to identifying and standardizing the international vocabulary before
a priori structural considerations were taken up.

And we'll continue to think that as long as you refuse to show us
that Occidental had an equally rigorous and systematic approach to
identifying and standardizing the international forms.  Maybe you
can't.... and that's why you keep dancing away from this question.

Just to help you begin,

leer = leger - [E./Sp. legible; Sp. leer; Pt. ler, legivel; It. leggere,
                leggibile; F. lire, lisible] < lat. legere, legibilis

letor = lector

leible = legibile
lection =?= lectura}
          = lector } all derived from leger/lect- to read
          = lection}
svim(m)ar = natar E. swim, F nager It. nuotare, Sp./Pt. nadar <
            lat. natare

escutar  = to listen = ascoltar [Pt. escutar, Fr.  couter, It. ascoltare,
                                   Sp. escuchar] <  pop. lat. *ascultare

This is an interesting case. Interlingua "ascoltar" is not classical
Latin either, but a romance prototype that precedes all the variants.
So, why did de Wahl go to Portuguese "escutar" and not Italian
ascoltare, which is closer to the common ancestral form?  Why not
"ecouter" or "escuchar"? [Remember Portugese/Spanish are counted as
one language unit, so to get three you have to take Italian and find
a prototype common to all three. English contributes nothing here].

Or did he simply intuit that "escutar" looks the most common to the
variants?

escadre = ?
escamotar = retraher (F. escamoter?)
excerpter = ?
fasan = faisan [(E. pheasant, Sp. faisan Pt. fais o < F. faisan <
                Anc. Prov. faisan ), I. fagiano, G. Fasan, R. fazan,
                Swed. fasan, Dut. fazant ] < lat. phasianus < Gr. phasianos
fauc = ?
fayance = faience < F. fa ence > [E. faience, Pt. faian a, G. Fayence < old
                    French fayence, R. fayans] < It. fa nza < town of Faenza
forjar =?= forgiar
garb = ?

gruel = ?
guache =  gouache (Sp./Pt. guache,  E. gouache < F. gouache)
                     < It. guazzo < lat. aquatio & aquacea

This word isn't in the IED nor in Cleij's word lists.  I had to
work it out myself.  It's obvious that the French form is the
prototype form for three variants (even the Spanish/Portuguese
variants, if you check their etymologies).  The Italian
"guazzo" is the source of the French. But it is not an immediate
prototype of English or Spanish/Portugese forms. The French
"gouache" is.  Three forms with the same more recent prototype
overrule the more remote ancestral form in one variant. That's
Interlingua's method.

hirund = ?
horloj = horologio [It. orologio, Sp. reloj Pt. rel gio, E. horologe,
          F. horloge] < lat. horologium
gnistar = ?
luvar = ?
madrepore = ?