AUXLANG May 2001, Week 3

Petry Dances Around

STAN MULAIK <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 21 May 2001 15:00:14 -0400

Newsgroups: europa.linguas
*       From: [log in to unmask] ("auliuniv")
*       Subject: ILa and 1943, 1939 ???
*       Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 20:51:46 +0000 (UTC)
*       Organization: Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG
*       Mail-From: [log in to unmask] from mail8.wlv.netzero.net [209.247.163.58]

Finally, thankfully, Stan has given us a couple of possible dates for IALA's
rule for determining their international words.
Without quoting his last post, I suggest the interested ones reread it, it
appears Stan is saying a late date would be 1943. And, with his other
comments, it appears an early date could be 1939. [Hmmmm? How did they ever
come up with an international vocabulary before that??? ;-) Could it be they
fudged?]

He also says that the ONLY word list IALA would have had was the Radicarium.
This is patently untrue. The Radicarium is a very limited word list, and no
where near the complete list available to IALA of Occidental words. Everyone
seems to rush to quoting the Radicarium, knowing it is a limited work, and
was not claimed to be anything but "directiv". Meaning? It was a work in
progress, and not every word was considered cut in stone, nor was it known
how many typos were even in the book. De Wahl asked the readers to inform
him of any typos or other mistakes.

Now, the Gar dictionary was also available to IALA as were many continual
updates to IALA on their word lists by the Occidentalists. They mention this
in their various articles in the early Cosmoglottas. AND, the complete
Fundamental Vocabularium was finished and published by 1947, plenty of time
before the final publication of the IED. Therefore, Stan is knowingly or
unknowingly wrong when he asserts, or implies that the Radicarium was the
only word list.
Gar was published in 1928, [how many years is that before IED?] and IALA had
the book. It was HUGE in comparison with the Radicarium. And, Gar, not de
Wahl, used the SAME definitive method for finding the international words
which IALA copied and claimed as Gode's own. I think we all can agree that
sr. Gar was not Edgar de Wahl, yet here is a different man compiling correct
Occidental words, by "intuition???" No, by specific and simple rules. As did
Kemp-Pope when he thought he was the only Occidentalist in England during
the war, so compiled his own CORRECT Occidental/English dictionary. Man,
they sure knew how to use "intuition".

Let me be clear, I am not claiming a conspiracy by evil intent. I am
claiming a typical academic usage of the work of others and claiming it as
ones own because of "subtil" changes. For example, it is a known fact that
many professors in universities publish the work of students under their own
names, and receive the credit for the "new" insight or discovery, and the
students? Well, they sometimes even get passing grades. This is nothing new,
and Gode was in academia and certainly felt nothing wrong in doing the same
thing. It is SOP in that world, Standard Operating Procedure. So, Gode [and
Stillman] copied two things of several: 1. they used the already in
existence Occidental word lists for "saving time" to get out the IALA
publications which had now been floting around since 1924. The money was
going to dry up, the directorship lay vacant, and things had to move. You
know, 1924 to 1946-50 was a long time to do "research" and have nothing to
show for it. So, something had to be done. And, Gode did it.

So,

1. they [he] used the Occidental word lists, the most complete at the time.
ANd, in fact, this made the use of the Radicarium useless and a waste of
time, since the whole vocabulary had been updated and expanded.

2. Gode, in order to come up with a "sistem" to justify his word selection,
including some of the changes occurred because of his sistem, copied and
changed the Occidental method of choosing international words. And, yes
Stan, it is written down in a hard and fast and simple rule for doing this.

Gode stole [oops, probably more appropriate would be to say "borrowed" it,
and perverted it. Let's just say, for now, it was based on a word appearing
in THREE languages, and adjusted when a concept could not be found in three.
And, for words for which there was NO concensus to be able to include as
being international, these had a rule for deciding too, which it appears
Gode failed to use.
This rule was in existence before 1922, since this is how de Wahl began his
early work to get the vocabulary for Occidental. Just think of it,
LOOOOOONNNNGGGGG before 1939 or the more likely date of 1943. This then begs
the question, until 1943 how in the world did IALA come up with the
vocabulary it was working on???? ;-) They had a vocabulary, you know. But,
that vocabulary began to undergo some changes after someone [Stillman? ]
told Gode about the rule used by de Wahl. Then, we have appearing on the
scene Gode LIMITING the languages to English, French, Italian, Spanish/Port,
and German and Russian, with his now famous "original" THREE language rule.
Which, by the way, is not consistently used if one goes through the IED and
checks. ;-)

Oh, here is Stan's last post, with my comments further, maybe.
-------------------
Bob,
  I've given you the answer to your question to the best of my
knowledge from historical sources in my possession.

Bob: Then, Stan, your sources are lacking some very critical information.

  So, now, how about answering my questions about the
methodology used by Occidentalists to establish the words
in their dictionaries.

Bob: I've mentioned above that for a word to be international in Occidental
it has to appear in THREE languages. The rest of the rule I consider as a
"trade secret" at the moment because it is not how Gode explains it.
Knowing what has already happened in the past, and even today when some of
this information is presented, I don't think it at all appropriate to
present it to the IAL movement crowd. And, the THREE language rule was
DECADES before sr. Gode did his dance on it and ruined it.

   You seem to think we Interlinguaists are a monolithic
group constantly in contact with one another and so we
are coordinating a conspiracy to prevent knowledge of
Occidental getting out into the world.

Bob: Absolutely NOT. I think they are a bunch of IGNORANT students who
believe they know much more than they do, usually from myths developed by
their forerunners. And, when I say IGNORANT I don't mean in mind capacity. I
mean they are literally ignorant of the facts and history of what they
profess. And, this is evidenced by so many who say they don't and won't
study the OLD history since it is not relevant to today. Their loss, our
gain. It's sad to see such an attitude in so many who profess interest in
such a field. I know many people in other fields who can't get enough of the
history of their field, and the correct history. As one said, you can't know
the present if you don't know it's history. And, that is a MAJOR lack in the
IAL field today. So, I believe these "ignorant" but fine people feel they
can't afford to lose "face" and admit they overlooked something, or didn't
study when they should have, and thus cling to myths that seem to support
their own conclusions. So, no, I don't believe they are in colusion and
conspiracy from evil intent, but simply from accepted ignorance. It's easier
to do that than to go to work and dig into all that old stuff covered in
thousands and thousands of pages.

   Well, I'm not in constant contact with former
Occidentalists among the Interlinguaists, and many of
them don't care about your arguments and don't want to
waste their time filling me in on Occidental methodology.

Bob: From what I've seen so far, they don't know that much anyway, and
didn't from the beginning. Too many of them were what too many today are,
language hobbyists and flit from one to the other once they learn enough
grammar and vocabulary to think they have mastered that one, so, on to the
next. I haven't found one Occidentalist yet today, even the ones that stuck
with Occidental, that really knows much about what was in the complete
series of Kos, Cos and Cos B. And, other important Occidental works. They
have been caused to "slumber" on the job too. Sad, very sad.

   I think Piet Cleij who has done as much dictionary
building for Interlingua as perhaps IALA did in its day,
a former Occidentalist, has a basis for comparison when
he makes the remark that Occidentalists rely more on
intuition in arriving at a standard form (given the
variants),

Bob: From what you described, and from the works of his that I have in
Occidental, I would say, he never got far enough to be able to make the
proper comparison. Unless he is sandbagging, he should have know how de Wahl
did it, it was no secret, except to you folks today.

whereas Interlingua has a very specific,
objective methodology that leads to a specific result.
If you think he is wrong, perhaps you can enlighten me,
if you know how, by showing me how nonintuitively
the words were selected and given their forms in the
Occidental list I presented to you.  We see that
Occidental and Interlingua often get similar but
not exactly the same forms.

Bob: Most of it is simple Stan. Occidental is not based on sud-romanic
languages. Dr. Gode used a "revolving" nonsense rule of three for his
changes. And, as I mentioned, when one goes through the IED to check back on
the words, there is no complete consistency on his three rule. i.e. French,
English, Spanish, or French, Spanish, Italian, or Spanish/PORT, English,
German, or Italian, Russian, French. See how it all keeps changing. That
could take years to master, don't you think? ;-)))

Can  you explain
precisely the reasons for the difference from the
point of view of Occidental methodology?  In some
cases the words are wildly different as the difference
between a Germanic "yun" and an anglo-romance "juvene".

Bob: Certainly I can. But, you see, we are not here teaching Occidental. We
are challenging the false front of IALA's "scientific" gruppe idea. There is
no reason at this point to challenge Occidental, right? Why, Occidental is
already lost and gone, right?

"yun" does not strike me as particulary international,
certainly not at the same level as "juvene". The
latter is supported by several derivatives in the
source languages, whereas "yun" is not.

Bob: Let's say I answered you on this, what would it gain? Nothing,
actually. For, you would run off on another tangent which has nothing to do
with the question at hand. And, the question: did IALA copy or not copy the
basics of Occidental? And, for you to say that it is MY opinion only that
they chose Occidental is pure hyperbole on your part. It is based on the end
results of IALA's work, and their OWN WORDS, which no where that I can find
were ever denied or changed. The only thing that changed were subtle ways of
expressing the same thing. They, like it or not, used Occidental rules, and
vocabulary, and threw out the things that didn't go with Gode's preference
for sud-romance languages and old latin forms. Certainly Occidental used
latin, but not in the "antique" way Gode himself prefered. Which is one of
the reasons Interlingua is so stilted for a modern language.

And that Occidental has many synonyms is not the
issue here.  The list I've given, taken from the
Radicarium, would be the language IALA saw in
1939.  Somehow what they saw did not satisfy them.
They thought they could do it better with a more
scientific methodology (in the sense of the
science of philology).

Bob: this is NOT true. They had the full lists developed after the
Radicarium, specifically sent to them by Occidentalists. To limit it to the
Radicarium alone is not based on historical fact, but on the assumption,
that since Gode didn't like the Radicarium, that was the only thing they
had. When you get a chance sometime, look at G
r's German-Occidental
dictionary. You will be overwhelmed with Gode. By the way, as I recall he
had something to do with German, didn't he? ;-) Hmmm? where does von come
from? And, it was in hardbound and softbound in 1928 my friend Stan, not
after 1951. As I recall, 1928 is a bit before 1939, and certainly before
1943. AND, I find it interesting that finally, AFTER years and decades of
complaining by de Wahl and other Occidentalists that IALA DID NOT HAVE a
method for deriving international words, [why would they say that if they
didn't have a method themselves?] suddenly in 1943 IALA "discovered" their
rule of three, already in use by Occidental's de Wahl prior to 1922 by
years!!

So, if you are not willing to give as much as you get
(you are getting historical information from me),
I'm going to conclude this exchange as fruitless to
pursue further.

Bob: What is fruitless, so far, is that your "historical" information only
confirms what I'v been saying. And, you don't even believe the writings of
IALA nor Gode, [your response is "well, that changed", when there is not
proof anywhere that that is so] so what else do you need? I am not trying to
convince you to go to Occidental, use it, or study it. I am simply showing
you that ILa is NOT the work of a "scientific"group of linguists in NY,
except in the sense of manual labor. It is the work of Gode who used and
changed Occidental resources PRIMARILY, into a form he called MY grammar and
MY lexico..
All the evidence goes to that. Even Gode himself admits it in his GERMAN
letter when he clearly explains that it is HIS grammar and HIS lexico.
Nothing could be clearer.

So: conclusion?:

Gode used Occidental's basic research as his own, [with Stillman] i.e. the
vocabulary, AND
stole the rule of three for derivation of international words,
and, changed them.
The vocabulary was changed by dropping most of the non sud-romanic words,
the rule was changed by, as written in the IED, LIMITING the source
languages to English, French, Italian, Span/Port, Ger, russ. BIG MISTAKE.
And, adding ancient forms of latin, instead of modernizing them when needed.

The extra 5% of differences between the two languages are primarily the
percentage where Gode went in the wrong direction. And, this is what limits
ILa's audience, versus the total audience potential of Occidental.

I find it interesting that today even ILAists are beginning to question
certain "oldies" in ILa, and what they are doing is actually returning in
the direction of Occidental, the only true international language ever
developed so far. This is why as Novial developed it kept returning in the
direction of Occidental, as finally will ILa to the point it will either
become Occidental again, or will disappear from the scene like Lsf and
Novial.

Cordialmen,
Bob, x+O~

P.S. Thanks for posting to auxlang too. Saves lots of time.