AUXLANG May 2001, Week 3

Mulaik responds and Petry parries

STAN MULAIK <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 19 May 2001 21:06:43 -0400

*       Newsgroups: europa.linguas
*       From: [log in to unmask] (Stanley Mulaik)
*       Subject: Re: 95% or 99%
*       Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 01:54:04 +0000 (UTC)
*       Organization: Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG
*       Mail-From: [log in to unmask] from maynard.mail.mindspring.net [207.69.200.243]

Bob Petry says:

}Yet, the question has still not been answered as to HOW the Occidentalists
}came up with the 95% of the word list without the help of the derivation
}method of Dr. Gode.
:
:
[snip]
:
:
}I'm not going to explain the method here, but I can tell you this. De Wahl
}was using this method even before he presented Occidental in 1922.
:
[snip]
:
}Anyway, the Occidentalist would have the easiest time in compiling the
}words. The method is so simple it's absolutely amazing. And, the simple
}"rules" for making adjustments if needed are truly simple and ingenious.
All
}available before the foundation of IALA in 1924.

And we still have not gotten the answer.  You would think Bob would know how
to present an argument and support it with evidence.  Especially if the rule
he is talking about is so simple to describe, as he says.  Is there really
such a rule, or is the former Occidentalist's characterization that it uses
a lot of "intuition" really correct?

Stan Mulaik

Newsgroups: europa.linguas
*       From: [log in to unmask] (Stanley Mulaik)
*       Subject: Re: 95% or 99%
*       Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 20:41:09 +0000 (UTC)
*       Organization: Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG
*       Mail-From: [log in to unmask] from barry.mail.mindspring.net [207.69.200.25]

Maybe Bob can enlighten us by explaining how the following words in
Occidental were established.  I list the corresponding Interlingua words,
where I can figure out the Occidental word, along with supporting words in
the source languages of Interlingua and occasionally other languages.

Some of these Occidental words don't seem international at all:

Words in Occidental's Radicarium that are  not established in the
same way as in Interlingua.  What is Occidental's justification for
their eligibility and form?

Occ.   Ila.      Possible other supporting languages
yun = juvene - E. young, G. jung; {F. jeune, It. giovane, Sp. joven
         all in the presence of E. juvenile, rejuvenate; F. juv nile,
         rejeunir; Sp. juvenil, rejuvenecer, It. giovanile, ringiovanire;
         Port. juvenil, rejuvenescer }< lat. juvenis, juvenilis

leer = leger - [E./Sp. legible; Sp. leer; Pt. ler, legivel; It. leggere,
                leggibile; F. lire, lisible] < lat. legere, legibilis

letor = lector

leible = legibile
lection =?= lectura}
          = lector } all derived from leger/lect- to read
          = lection}
svim(m)ar = natar E. swim, F nager It. nuotare, Sp./Pt. nadar <
            lat. natare

escutar  = to listen = ascoltar [Pt. escutar, Fr.  couter, It. ascoltare,
                                   Sp. escuchar] <  pop. lat. *ascultare
escadre = ?
escamotar = retraher (F. escamoter?)
excerpter = ?
fasan = faisan [(E. pheasant, Sp. faisan Pt. fais o < F. faisan <
                Anc. Prov. faisan ), I. fagiano, G. Fasan, R. fazan,
                Swed. fasan, Dut. fazant ] < lat. phasianus < Gr. phasianos
fauc = ?
fayance = faience < F. fa ence > [E. faience, Pt. faian a, G. Fayence < old
                    French fayence, R. fayans] < It. fa nza < town of Faenza
forjar =?= forgiar
garb = ?
gruel = ?
guache =  gouache (Sp./Pt. guache,  E. gouache < F. gouache)
                     < It. guazzo < lat. aquatio & aquacea
hirund = ?
horloj = horologio [It. orologio, Sp. reloj Pt. rel gio, E. horologe,
          F. horloge] < lat. horologium
gnistar = ?
luvar = ?
madrepore = ?

Stan Mulaik

Newsgroups: europa.linguas
*       From: [log in to unmask] ("auliuniv")
*       Subject: RE: 95% or 99%
*       Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 19:59:30 +0000 (UTC)
*       Organization: Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG
*       Mail-From: [log in to unmask] from mail9.wlv.netzero.net [209.247.163.66]

> Bob Petry says:
>
> }Yet, the question has still not been answered as to HOW the
Occidentalists
> }came up with the 95% of the word list without the help of the derivation
> }method of Dr. Gode.
> :
> [kut]
>
> And we still have not gotten the answer.  You would think Bob would know
how
> to present an argument and support it with evidence.  Especially if the
rule
> he is talking about is so simple to describe, as he says.  Is there really
> such a rule, or is the former Occidentalist's characterization that it
uses
> a lot of "intuition" really correct?
>
> Stan Mulaik

Just tell us when IALA [Gode] finally had their formula for finding words as
described in the IED. The date of this is very telling to start with.
You better believe Stan that they had a method, an exact method, that is
simpler and more powerful than IALA has or ever will have.
Your attempt at baiting me to give you information you and your former
Occidental friends should already have, but don't, is not going to work.
IALA, Gode etc. have already copied enough from Occidental and claimed it as
their own, with slight variations so they can claim
originality.
You avoiding the simple questions by trying to throw it back to me giving
you details which you don't have and haven't earned, will not deny the
facts. ILa is lacking big time, and is a very poor copy.
The disturbing thing is simply that the ILaistes knowl this and have fought
harder against the true coming to light than all the Esperantists did in
similar situations.
Now, what year did IALA begin using their 3 language + or - german and
russia? That is a telling date, since they were building vocabulary from
somewhere [;-)] prior to that, but without their formula. So, what's the
date? I'm asking, not for my knowledge, but so the readers who
are not involved, but interested can get it from the source, so they can't
say that I am fudging. Please inform them Stan.

Cordialmen,
Bob, x+O~

Newsgroups: europa.linguas
*       From: [log in to unmask] (Stanley Mulaik)
*       Subject: Re: 95% or 99%
*       Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 20:41:09 +0000 (UTC)
*       Organization: Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG
*       Mail-From: [log in to unmask] from barry.mail.mindspring.net [207.69.200.25]

Maybe Bob can enlighten us by explaining how the following words in
Occidental were established.  I list the corresponding Interlingua words,
where I can figure out the Occidental word, along with supporting words in
the source languages of Interlingua and occasionally other languages.

Some of these Occidental words don't seem international at all:

Words in Occidental's Radicarium that are  not established in the
same way as in Interlingua.  What is Occidental's justifiction for

Newsgroups: europa.linguas
*       From: [log in to unmask] ("auliuniv")
*       Subject: Re: 95% or 99%
*       Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 23:06:35 +0000 (UTC)
*       Organization: Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG
*       Mail-From: [log in to unmask] from mail9.wlv.netzero.net [209.247.163.66]

Maybe Bob can enlighten us by explaining how the following words in
Occidental were established.  I list the corresponding Interlingua words,
where I can figure out the Occidental word, along with supporting words in
the source languages of Interlingua and occasionally other languages.

Some of these Occidental words don't seem international at all:

Words in Occidental's Radicarium that are  not established in the
same way as in Interlingua.  What is Occidental's justifiction for
their eligibility and form?

Bob: I'm so glad that Stan is quick to reply. ;-)
However, it is with a question, not an answer. Perhaps Stan doesn't know
when IALA first had their formula. But, I will wait to see if he can and/or
will provide the answer.

The following word list has nothing whatsoever to do with the original
question, at this moment. It is just a diversion.
They are interesting questions for those not knowing Occidental or how to
arrive at words. I'm sure it is perhaps a little disconcerting to realize
that the former Occidentalists in ILa do not know the answers. If anyone
should know they should. However, that is the reason they left Occidental
and went to ILa. They did not have a sound grounding in the language. I'm
not talking about using the language. Anyone who speaks English can use it.
That does not mean they understand the inner workings, or history of the
language. I don't believe these former Occidentalists really knew very much
beyond memorizing vocabulary and grammar rules. But, who knows. Maybe one of
them knows the rules de Wahl used. ;-)
Besides, for modern Occidentalists, who need the information about the words
below, there is a place for giving this information. But, not here.
So.....
When did IALA begin using their formula described in the IED?

[...]

Bob: Stan doesn't seem to realize that Occidental has more than one word for
some of the words above.
Nor has it seemed to dawn on ILaistes that just as any language of
foundation can do, words can change within Occidental as times change, and
word usages change, etc. And, that there are good reasons for the words
above, which ILaistes cannot understand with their limited formula for
discovering international USAGE.

Bob:Anyway, when did they begin using their formula? ;-)

Cordialmen,
Bob, x+O~