AUXLANG May 2001, Week 3

Mulaik counterparies Petry

STAN MULAIK <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 19 May 2001 21:14:01 -0400

Newsgroups: europa.linguas
*       From: [log in to unmask] (Stanley Mulaik)
*       Subject: Re: RE: 95% or 99%
*       Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 03:40:48 +0000 (UTC)
*       Organization: Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG
*       Mail-From: [log in to unmask] from blount.mail.mindspring.net [207.69.200.226]

We know from the General Report of IALA of 1945 that five control languages,
English, French, Italian, Spanish-Portuguese (treated as a single unit),
were used along with supplementary devices that permitted going outside this
list of control languages.  The General Report of 1945 shows that they
were at that point going out to German and Dutch to find variants with
a common prototype ancestor with English: *cellario from E. cellar,
G. Keller and Dutch kelder from Latin cellarium, a storage place.
The one proviso is that the prototype had to be Latin or Romance.
Gode perhaps formalizes the role of German and Russian as alternative
source languages in the introduction to the IED as a result of frequently
finding solutions in these languages according to the aforementioned
supplementary rule.

We also have an indication that Stillman, Gode, with assistance from the
linguistic staff, had developed a detailed methodology for selecting
and standardizing the form of international words in 1943.

We also know that the reason IALA embarked on developing its own criteria
for selecting and standardizing the basic roots and affixes of the
international vocabulary was because

"And  yet no one of these [constructed] languages  has satisfied the
requirements of scientific criteria sufficiently to gain the dynamic
intellectual backing which is needed for the successful establishment of
a constructed language.  The question thus arises whether and to what
extent it may be possible to preserve the fruits of past labors and
at the same time satisfy the demands of scholars. The situation is full
of hope, for it is observable that increasing numbers of scholars, when
they seriously examine the constructed languages in use, discover that
they all contain some features that conform to acceptable linguistic and
psychological criteria, and that it would be feasible to select one of
them as a base-language and modify it so that it would throughout conform
to such criteria.  Furthermore, that satisfactory modifications,
fundamental when regarded from the scientific point of view, could, if
desired, be made in such a way as to appear comparatively slight from
the practical point of view. Also, that in making the needed modifications
of a selected base-language advantage might be taken of certain features
from other constructed languages, and thus that the devoted labors spent
on each might conribute substantially to the formulation of the definitive
language."  _A Plan for Obtaining Agreement on an Auxiliary World-Language_,
IALA, 1936.  (Note: most of the authors of this report were Esperantists).

In 1937 the Committee for Agreement of IALA published a pamphlet titled
"Some Criteria for an International Language and Commentary".  It was
felt that there was a need for stating explicit criteria for the
auxiliary language and these criteria in turn needed to be clarified
with further commentary.  Meetings were held with various persons and the
committee for agreement consisting of Prof. Debrunner, Chairman, Buning
(secretary), Mr. Collinson, Director of the Technical Staff in Liverpool,
Mr. Vendryes, and Mrs. Alice Vanderbilt Morris, ex officio (who was
underwriting the whole business).  Subsequently it was determined that
further commentary clarifying criteria that had been assembled was needed.
Collinson and J. W. Jeaffreson (London) each wrote separate commentaries
and then these were considered at the Belgian embassy in Brussels at a
meeting attended by Debrunner, Morris, Suessmann, Buning,Dillon , Somerfelt,
Stillman and van Wijk.  Collinson then handled the final editing of the
commentary with consultation from Morris and Stillman. [It's important to
note the Stillman is in the center of this activity, for he later assumes
the position of Director of Research when IALA moves its research effort
to New York under new personnel in 1939 to avoid the war. In Liverpool he
was the Assistant Director of Technical Research.]

Now, it is important to note that the first two criteria for the auxiliary
language considered were
"Criteria 1 & 2. A priori or a posteriori"
   1.  The radical elements of the vocabulary shall be a posteriori.
   2.  The structural features may be a priori.

This is precisely the way Stillman later sets up the research program in
New York in 1939.  Work on establishing the root vocabulary is done on an
a posteriori basis.  A group of source languages (see above the General
Report of 1945) is selected, and a methodology is developed for objectively
selecting and then standardizing the forms of the international words.
It is essential to make this work have the character of a scientific effort,
as per the report of 1936.  He hires linguists who have not had a formal
affiliation with any prior constructed language.  (He was an Esperantist,
by the way, famous for his poetry in Esperanto). He hires Gode. What we
now know is that some time between 1939 and 1943 Stillman and Gode worked
with the staff to develop clear rules for standardizing the international
vocabulary. Gode mentions in a paper given in 1954 that a 500 page
typescript was prepared describing their methodology and it was finished
in 1943.  The General Report of 1945 reports that effort then had been
proceeding on standardizing an international vocabulary and that by 1945
some 20,000+ words had been standardized by these methods.

At the same time the research effort also explored the possible a priori
(subjectively invented) structural (grammatical) features for an
auxiliary language.  Three model grammatical structures are developed.
One is almost purely natural with a very simple grammar essentially like
the current Interlingua.  Another is like a somewhat schematic Occidental,
and the third a kind of Esperanto-Ido.  All models build on the natural
root vocabulary, as the first two criteria specified.

Now, Petry here likes to believe that they had chosen Occidental as the
language to modify.  I don't think they consciously chose Occidental.
Occidental was a language that was seen to draw strongly on the
natural elements of the international vocabulary.  But it was also seen
as a kind of a priori schematicism, like their second model language.
The "international vocbulary" is not Occidental in their view.  Occidental
is a schemtic language that seeks to preserve to a considerable extent
the natural forms of the "international vocabulary", which is in the
public domain.  But it does not do so entirely, and in some ways it
does it poorly, in the view of IALA staff people like Dr. Gode.  The
issue is establishing what is international and what is its most
accurately standardized form.  Occidental gets there part way (before
it even considers implementing certain principles of schematicization).
But in many situations it misses out in providing what scientific
linguists/philologists would regard as the key reason for the similarity
of words across the source control languages: the languages have either
descended from a common ancestor or  have borrowed heavily from that
ancestor and from each other.  Philologists have the concept of the
"prototype" (Gode didn't invent it but took it from mainstream
philology):  A prototype is the historical and often theoretical form
from which all of the variants in several languages must have descended or
been borrowed.  It is the "common cause" of the similar forms among
the variants in the various languages. Stillman and Gode and the linguistic
staff decide to standardize the forms of the international words
according to the prototype forms common to the variant forms.  This is
what gives the necessary scientific character to their activity in this
aspect of the project.

I now want to close with another quotation from the 1937 report of
the Committee for Agreement.  The topic is the finality of the
criteria.  They are not final:

"Future rehandling of criteria.

  "The present classification of the approved criteria need not be
looked upon as immutable.  Particulary should it be borne in mind
that most linguistic criteria might be classed also as learning
criteria in the sense that such linguistic criteria are at the same
time norms of ease of learning."

  "And the approved criteria are plainly to be regarded as of varying
degrees of importance. The nature and degree of their relevant
importance will doubtlessly become clearer as the work progresses
and they are supplemented by further criteria."

  "The time will then come when that whole body of criteria will
be rehandled in whatever way may be deemed most suitable in a
report from IALA to the envisaged Institute whose function will
be to give definitive form, in accord with that whole body of
criteria, to the language which it will recommend to the projected
official International Language Commission." (pp. 10 - 11).

So, some leeway was left for future workers to establish an
optimal auxiliary language.  But historically the way things went
was pretty much within the limits of the criteria laid down in
this 1937 report.

and modified in ways characeristic of the respective languages.

--
Posted from blount.mail.mindspring.net [207.69.200.226]

Newsgroups: europa.linguas
*       From: [log in to unmask] (Stanley Mulaik)
*       Subject: Re: Re: 95% or 99%
*       Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 04:38:05 +0000 (UTC)
*       Organization: Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG
*       Mail-From: [log in to unmask] from blount.mail.mindspring.net [207.69.200.226]

Bob,
  I've given you the answer to your question to the best of my
knowledge from historical sources in my possession.

  So, now, how about answering my questions about the
methodology used by Occidentalists to establish the words
in their dictionaries.

   You seem to think we Interlinguaists are a monolithic
group constantly in contact with one another and so we
are coordinating a conspiracy to prevent knowledge of
Occidental getting out into the world.

   Well, I'm not in constant contact with former
Occidentalists among the Interlinguaists, and many of
them don't care about your arguments and don't want to
waste their time filling me in on Occidental methodology.

   I think Piet Cleij who has done as much dictionary
building for Interlingua as perhaps IALA did in its day,
a former Occidentalist, has a basis for comparison when
he makes the remark that Occidentalists rely more on
intuition in arriving at a standard form (given the
variants), whereas Interlingua has a very specific,
objective methodology that leads to a specific result.
If you think he is wrong, perhaps you can enlighten me,
if you know how, by showing me how nonintuitively
the words were selected and given their forms in the
Occidental list I presented to you.  We see that
Occidental and Interlingua often get similar but
not exactly the same forms.  Can  you explain
precisely the reasons for the difference from the
point of view of Occidental methodology?  In some
cases the words are wildly different as the difference
between a Germanic "yun" and an anglo-romance "juvene".
"yun" does not strike me as particulary international,
certainly not at the same level as "juvene". The
latter is supported by several derivatives in the
source languages, whereas "yun" is not.

And that Occidental has many synonyms is not the
issue here.  The list I've given, taken from the
Radicarium, would be the language IALA saw in
1939.  Somehow what they saw did not satisfy them.
They thought they could do it better with a more
scientific methodology (in the sense of the
science of philology).

So, if you are not willing to give as much as you get
(you are getting historical information from me),
I'm going to conclude this exchange as fruitless to
pursue further.

Stan Mulaik