AUXLANG May 2001, Week 4

Re: Stan Mulaik and his comments

"Donald J. HARLOW" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 May 2001 14:32:10 -0700

Je 04:50 ptm 5/25/01 -0400, Stan MULAIK skribis

>Bob,
>   Next time you address a message on the internet you
>want kept confidential say "CONFIDENTIAL".  Private
>just means you want to discuss this off line.  After
>all, we had publically dumped a ton of stuff on AUXLANG,
>and discussing it one on one would have been private
>and less burdensome to others--which was my interpretation
>of your "private message".

Stan --

I presume you are addressing Bob's point (3). If not, I beg your pardon for
the following.

Traditional netiquette (and possibly law, though I am not sure of this)
demands that if person A sends a private (i.e., not generally disseminated)
message to person B -- or even to specific persons B, C and D -- B, or B,
C, and D do not have the right to publicly post that message, whether the
term CONFIDENTIAL is used or not, unless you have at least the implicit
permission of the original sender. There is also the question of copyright,
but I don't know whether anyone has ever bothered to address that at
sufficient legal length.

Use of messages posted to a mailing list is less clear. My own take on this
is that messages posted to a public list are fair game, but messages posted
to a private list aren't. But that's only my opinion.

Using the _information_ contained in a private message, without quoting the
message directly, is also less clear to me.

-- Don HARLOW

Branĉetoj nudaj
Antaŭ ĉiel' lazura
Lunon aĵuras.