AUXLANG May 2001, Week 4

Re: Stan Mulaik and his comments

Kjell Rehnstrom <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 May 2001 10:13:08 +0200

auliuniv wrote:

> 1. Stan is tap dancing big time.
> 2. Stan mentions he is corresponding with me privately.
> 3. He then publishes publickly private information from me.
> 4. Now, guess what? We are no longer corresponding privately or publickly
> ever again. Oh, that should make him happy.
> 5. I will now just finish up the book, and present it to the public where it
> can make its statement. He thinks it's easy to counter. Wait till all see
> the whole thing -- man, I can't wait to see the whole ILa team tap dancing
> then. Somebody better form a band. (Et cetera ad nauseam)

Some ifs

It will be very interesting to see what effect the book that Bob is going to
publish will have. I shall _of course_ not buy it, that in order to make it
possible that it will be read by those who want to read it.

Esperantists (I mention them as that was what I enountered) usde similar
tactics against Interlingua when I began occupying myself with it. You know the
arguments: 1. There are very few Interlingua Speakers. 2. The language is not
invented by the IALA but by Gode himself. (Even some Interlinguans used to
mention IALA:s interlingua as _Godelingua_, by the way.

And I responded then as I shall indeed do now.

Bobs musings are of no interest to others than Historians. If Gode really
"copied", "redesigned", "meliorated" Occidental, so much the better. It is even
possible that all the Occidentalers who went over to Interlingua indeed
hampered its development adopting a lot of occidentalisms that do occur int the
IED. But these are speculations. What counts is the language and how it will be
used.

The danger for people like me who want to use an international language as an
alternative to English, which can be somewhat boring in the long run, is that
bob's book would gain response in the English-speaking world and making a lot
of people mention Occidental parrotwise as the International Language. What it
is going to show in such a case will only be that English Is The World
Language. Don't make any mistake about that.

A side remark: The Esperanto books that I have seen at the hoses of people who
are not too interested in the language but as any interested person will try to
see what it all is about, are: Esperanto-English Dictionary, Teach yourself
Esperanto. (I mean even here in Sweden! That those people didn't speak
Esperanto is another thing!)

And as a matter of fact I am promoting English by using it. The only ones who
will be disattracted are thos who want to keep it for themselves, meaning that
we forreigner mistreat it. But then, there is a solution. Try to interest
yourself in an international language and use it, and your ears will be saved.
This is in fact a threat, unless you don't comply! ;-)

Oh, and if Interlingua is a better choice than Occidental it will win, if not
the book by Bob will trigger some huge interest in Occidental in such a way
that the latter will be spread more quickly than Interlingua, and that is a
good thing too. Both languages can of corse work. I will have no greater
problems adapting to Occidental, if I really have to, and then it doesn't
matter that I, for one think it is inferior. I could of course begin to use my
own contraption as well, but as it looks there will be a lot of philosofizing
in English about Occidental and it will probably stop by that.

Cordially

Cellus P