AUXLANG May 2001, Week 4

Occidental and Interlingua

STAN MULAIK <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 26 May 2001 00:44:32 -0400

Auxlangers"

Let me first congratulate Bob for owning up to his mistake about the
20,000 words.  And let me further praise him for laying out his cards
on the table where we can see the evidence on which some of his ideas
is based.  It will be important for all of us, especially him, that
we get at the truth.  It would only be far more embarassing later
on if further evidence comes out to the contrary.

[snip]

}This was said in July, 1948. In July 1949 this is what Dr. Gode said in a
}letter of July 15, 1949.
}
}"Mi conditiones ha essite adoptate. E mi responsa ha essite un promissa
}solemne e definitive de compler le manuscripto de nostre prime dictionario -
}INCLUDANTE plus que 20 milles parolas organisate secundo le structura
}schematic del lingues natural - ante le fine del anno currente."

Obviously Dr. Gode recognized the point earlier made by de Wahl that
the natural languages contained natural schemas of derivation derived
from the affix system of Latin & Gk. For Gode, the affix system of Latin
and Gk underlying all the word families in the source languages was the
grand prototype.  (You see from time to time in academic courses
on vocabulary building, say, in English, the various affixes of
English derived from Latin and Greek.  Just learning the language
of English (or French, or Spanish, or Italian, or German, or Russian)
you discover that certain words of Latin origin have endings that
can be used to create new words, or to make sense out of new words
encountered by word analysis.  I recall my course using the text
"Thirty Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary" where we were exposed
to the various Latin and Greek words and their affixes.  My father
took a course in the 1940's "Medical Latin and Greek" given to
medical students to help them understand the meaning of medical
terms.  The course text, a lithographed booklet, is full of affixes
and roots of Latin and Greek.  It's helped me understand Interlingua
better.  I note that my Petit Larousse contains a section at the
front of the dictionary [French] "Pr fixes et suffixes" and their
meanings as derived from corresponding prefixes and suffixes of
Latin and Greek.  So, there was a general awareness of this
affix system derived from Latin and Greek across the source languages.
My Webster's Third International lists affixes for English and their
etymological origins.  Learning roots and affixes is a basic tool
for word analysis to help one figure out the meaning of new words
in one's language. It's not just an idea of interlinguistics.
De Wahl sought to take advantage of the Latin and Greek affix
system and made his analyses of them.  He believed with a basic
set of roots and the affixes you could get many more words.  The
results would be natural.

But I want to note something that Bob has in his possession.  At
the back of the 1936 "A plan for obtaining agreement...." pamphlet
is a listing of publications and manuscripts resulting from IALA's
researches.  We note a paper by Collinson on "Word building in
international languages" 1929.  Then "Word building (derivation
and composition) in L, I, S, F, E, G, R; Esp, Ido, Nov, and Occ--
CS, III-H. S. Eaton and George L. Trager, under direction of
Henri Muller, ms. 1933 -475 pp..  Then there is a piece on
Word-formation: principles, affixes, and examples of derived words
and of compounds--CS (Comparative Studies), III.  These were studies
beginning in 1936 under Collinson that were under way.  Helen
Eaton notes at the back of her _Semantic Frequency List_ that she
was working on compiling an affix frequency study.  The table at
the back, which Dr. Gode is credited with helping her develop,
does not list specific affixes, but categories of affixes.  It was
basic research.  So, the idea of studying affix systems was
a basic topic in linguistics at the time.  And IALA's attention
to this topic predates any 1939 stimulus from Occidentalists.
}
[snip]
}
}Now, the question still is, where did the change come from after the
}1936-1939 time frame when IALA did not have a method of derivation. We know
}it was not there in 1936. But, it is obvious a change occured between 1939
}and 1943. They came up with a method of derivation. From where?
}
}First, IALA still copied the basic word list using Occidental, to me that
}hasn't changed one iota.

Again "copied" is unsubstantiated. There is no documented evidence that
IALA, particulary Stillman and Gode used an Occidental word list either
to suggest words to investigate or actually to copy and then modify.  If
I'm wrong, Bob, then produce the documents to the contrary.  The
Eaton _Semantic Frequency List_ doesn't count because it wasn't used
other than to indicate the 6000 most frequent concepts for which it
would have been essential to find the corresponding international
roots and their prototypes in the source langauges.  The list does
not determine the specific form of the roots. The source languages
and the prototypes of their variant forms do.

}
}So, to go along with the 1936 Annual Report of IALA, which everyone already
}knows about, here is what was reported in 1936 by Cosmoglotta.
}

[snip]

}
}IN LI AMPLI MATERIALE, QUEL TRACTA LI NUMERALES, LI CONJUGATION, LI
}QUESTIONES PRI TIMPOR E ET@ CON UN ABUNDANTIE DE DETALIES, NOI NE TROVAT NUL
}CAPITUL, NUL PAROL, NI UN MENTION PRI LI *DERIVATION*. IT ES QUAM SI TI
}PROBLEMA NE EXISTE. TO ES ASTONANT PRO QUE LI PROBLEMA DEL DERIVATION ES UN
}QUESTION CARDINAL, IN LI DECISION PRI LI VALORE DEL SINGUL SYSTEMAS DE
}LINGUE INTERNATIONAL.
}
}Then the article mentions that before the meeting de Wahl told Ilmari Federn
}that there would be no materials at the meeting on DERIVATION. And, sure
}enough, that is exactly what happened. When the materials were finally
}distributed, there was nothing on derivation.
}
}When put on the spot about this by prof. v. Sydow, Prof Debrunner responded:
}que ti question es tro complicat (!) que it ducte tro for (!) que ne esset
}timpor tractar it, que it es un tema desfacil, quel postula long studies
}special. Noi consent a to: sr. de Wahl ha laborat durant 30 annus por dar it
}li solution, quel hodie por nos _sembla tam simplic e self-evident_.
}
}Ok, so we know in 1936 IALA had no method of derivation. But, sometime
}during 1939, or after, they "found" one. An ILaist has even mentioned
}something along this line.

Well, as I've pointed out to you they were doing basic research at this
point.  They already had done studies on word derivation and composition.
Any Esperantist/linguist like Collinson would be conscious of this
problem.  But I don't think they were settling on any paricular method
of derivation because they hadn't yet finalized criteria for the
definitive international language and embarked on implementing them.

Something  just occurs to me.  What, Bob, do you mean by "method of
derivation".  Do you mean the derivation of words from roots by
composing them with affixes? (The usual meaning). Or do you mean
extracting words from the source languages by some method like the
prototype method based on three or more words with common meanings
and similar forms?

[snip]

} And, IALA begins
}after 1939 to make some real headway with "word derivation". They even "come
}up" with a three language system for finding words.] May, 1939 p. 37.

This sounds like a method for extracting words, rather than deriving
them from roods with a fixed system of affixes.  Is this what you are
talking about?

}
}Now, in 1939 who were the colaboratores de IALA working on the word
}lists??????
}
}p. 5 1939 Annual Report.
}
}RESEARCH STAFF
}Office at New York
}Linguistic Research Associate and Director of Educational Research
}Helen S. Eaton, diplomee Sorbonne
}
}[now notice]
}Research Assistant
}***Alexander Gode-von Aesch, Columbia, Ph.D.

So?  Eaton was working on her Semantic Frequency List with help from
Gode.  She also worked on studies of frequency of affixes by concept
category (rather than specific affix).  This was not the problem of
extracting vocabulary from source languages by some method like the
prototype method.

Later in 1942-43 she conducted a study in New Mexico using basic
philological data assembled for IALA's research in a course on
language learning.  "This material is arranged in Latin word
families with equivalent words in the Romance languages and English
for the purpose of showing the derivational system used by the
majority of European tongues.  It is used in the form of vocabulary
building courses which equip the student with a sizable vocabulary
in any one of the major Romance languages and also give him a basis
for recognition of new words when encountered in these tongues. The
same method is used to enlarge the English vocabulary of a student."
(General Report 1945, p. 50).

}
}[and notice who is in the univ of Liverpool staff when this material was
}sent to the colaboratores of IALA. ;-) ]
}
}Director
}William E. Collinson, London, M.A.; Heidelberg, Ph.D.
}
}*** Assistant Director and Secretary to Committee for Agreement
}E. Clark Stillman, Michigan, M.A.
}
}Research Assistants, etc, etc.
}
}Hmmmm? Mr. Stillman and Dr. Gode, one in England, one in New York, receiving
}material from Cosmoglotta on how de Wahl did it, in 1939. And, then the two
}colaborated together in New York in 1940/1 on, great, eh? .....
}
}Now, in 1940 the Research Staff in New York included Stillman and Dr. Gode,
}among some others.

Well, of course.  Where have you been?  This is ancient history. But
this doesn't prove anything of IALA's _using_ Occidental's methods or
word lists to _determine_ the forms of words it extracts from the source
languages.

}Also, reference Eaton's list and the building of IALA's language, and her
}statement about using Occidental list for correction purposes, this should
}be interesting.

Where does it say that the Occidental word list was used for correction
purposes?  In her _Semantic Frequency List_ she says, p. xviii
"Columns in artificial languages. --Corresponding to the four language
columns of the List are two more which are not published.  These are in
the international languages Esperanto and Ido.  Part of still another
corresponding column, in the international language Occidental, has
also been worked out.  This material might be available for anyone
interested by arrangement with the [I.A.L.A.] 420 Lexington Ave. NYC.
For translating the concepts of the Semantic Frequency List into another
language, when the translator does not thoroughly understand three
of the languages used in the List, the comparative unambiguity of
these artificial languages would be invaluable."  That's all there
is about these artificial languages.  Now, any linguists at IALA
would not be troubled with figuring out the meaning of words in her
lists to need the Occidental list to help them.

}
}p. 9 1940 AR, "The Semantic Frequency List, in manuscript form, HAS BEEN
}USED FOR THE PAST TWO YEARS by IALA's research staff in the intricate work
}of extracting THE BASIC ROOTS FOR THE VOCABULARY of the language IALA will
}recommend for international use. In manuscript there are supplements,
}namely, correlated columns in Esperanto, Ido, and, in part, in Occidental."

This simply reiterates what I quoted from Eaton's _Semantic Frequency
List_.  You are misreading this.  It does not mean that the semantic
frequency list was used to determine the form of roots for the vocabulary.
It means it was used to help them isolate the most important or frequent
concepts in the source languages so that they would be sure to have a
vocabulary with roots corresponding to the most frequently used concepts.
Concepts are not words. The same concept can be referenced by different
words in different languages:  Eng. "concept"  Ger. "der Begriff".
The reference to Esperanto, Ido and Occidental is just a parenthetical
aside in the above statement. They had nothing to do with the use of
the Semantic Frequency List in this context.

}
}So, there is no place anywhere that links Occidental with the building of
}basic word roots in ILa, eh? ILa certainly did not come out as a form of
}Esperanto or Ido, now did it? And, no other word lists are mentioned
}anywhere that I know of while doing this process of basic root extraction.
}
}Ok, nuff.

No.  You totally misunderstand the above quote you give.

}
}I think it is important to correct my error on the 20,000 word list not
}being there in 1948 and not let it hang out there.

I really admire you for doing this. Considering the embarrassment it
may cost you to admit this, I think this is very admirable and honorable
of you.

}
}I think though, that in reality, the rest is pretty clear. Occidental is the
}basis of ILa, whether they want to label it a generic synopsis of languages,
}or whatever. It is 95% Occidental, and there is a reason for that.
}

I think you still have a serious misunderstanding of the use of the
Semantic Frequency List and the associated corresponding list of
Occidental words created to help translators figure out the meaning
of the words.

But I want to finish now with some quotes from Dr. Gode on how he was
hired and came to work with Stillman.  This is taken from Berger's
Doc. 102 circulated with the Currero International in March 1959.
Berger quotes from Gode:

"Sub le direction de Dr. Collinson IALA habeva in Liverpool un
instituto de recercas in que le philologia serviva le interlinguistica.
Le comenciamento del secunde guerra mundial dispergeva le
personal del instituto a Liverpool. Sr. Stillman, usque a ille
tempore assistente del director de recercas de IALA, se trovava
plus o minus accidentalmente a New York ubi ille acceptava le
mission de reunir, sub su absolute directorato, un nove centro de
recercas con un nove corpore de laborantes."

"Io non sape si Stillman esseva guidate in su selection del assistentes
e collaborantes per consciemente formulate principios o plus tosto
per un profunde sagessa instinctive.  In omne caso, ille se
circumdava de juvene philologos disproviste de interesse
interlinguistic e nunquam admitteva al personal de recercas de
IALA ulle persona qui cognosceva Esperanto o Ido o Occidental, o
non importa qual altere systema de lingua auxiliar.  Ille voleva
recercas e non speculationes.

"Un anecdota personal que illumina iste decisivemente importante
attitude del parte de Stillman concerne su reluctantia in le affaire
de mi devenir su prime assistente.  Depost 1933 io habeva laborate
pro IALA a intervallos irregular, semper sin preoccupation direct
con problemas interlinguistic.  Sed le character de mi labores
non esseva cognoscite a Stillman.  Ille me considerava como
"contaminate", e quando un tertie persona (Srta. Eaton) proponeva
a ille que io esserea un possibile candidate pro su nove gruppo
de recercatoes, ille non esseva interessate del toto.  Plus tarde
ille alterava su evaluation de mi qualificationes, sed durante le
longe subsequente annos de nostre amicitate, ille prime
difficultate in nostre association ha nunquam cessate esser un
fonte de amusamento pro nos...."

Berger also quotes this from Gode:

"(4.1.57)  Benque il es ver que le elaboration de Interlingua non
se apoiava super ulle modello, le idea fundamental in nostre labores
non haberea essite concipibile sin le effortios preparatori de
de Wahl e alteros."

What Gode attributes to de Wahl is the recognition of the
international vocabulary as a basis for the construction of a
natural auxiliary language.  But the international vocabulary
exists as an objective phenomenon resulting from the fact that
diverse languages have descended from a common ancestor or have
borrowed lexical forms from other languages.  Any attempt to
standardize the form of that international vocabulary by linking
the variant forms in the current languages to their ancestor
forms or forms in original lending languages, the prototypes,
will produce the same or nearly the same result, depending on
the languages used.  That's why Occidental and Interlingua are
so similar.  No copying of word lists was involved.

Cordially,
Stan Mulaik