CONLANG  June 2001, Week 2

CONLANG June 2001, Week 2

Vya:a:h (old: New Arvorec words)

SuomenkieliMaa <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:01:25 -0700

Hi Christophe, all!
I fractured my right elbow 2 wks ago, so haven't been
doing much of anything - lest typing or writing!  *-(
Therefore, apologies for never replying!

--- Christophe Grandsire
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> En réponse ESuomenkieliMaa <[log in to unmask]>:
> >
> > Vya:a:h ( _vy_ = "one" + _a:a:h_ = "language")
> will be
> > the mother tongue and most essential to a series
> of
> > artlangs belonging to a separate galaxy
> (Vaa:vy'yy)
> > in which all people are enlightened and realize
> that
> > homosexuality/bisexuality are natural, hence
> nearly
> > 100% of the population homosexual.
>
> He he, I've read fantasy and SF writings where
> aliens had quite strange
> sexualities, but I don't think anyone else before
> you has had the idea of people
> who are in majority homosexuals :) . I like it :)) .

Merci beaucoup.  Was afraid to post this as I do not
mean to offend anyone, but then again it's a free
forum, no?  Well, between work & my arm - not to
mention my turbulent private life, Vya:a:h is still a
twinkle in my eye - so to speak.  Moreover, my partner
does not understand such conlanging activity as a
hobby, so I tend to hide it from him when he comes
around (nearly everday).  Someday I hope Vya:a:h will
amount to something, even if only an artlang or
personal lang.

> > In this way, simple concepts like
> love/marriage/sex
> > instantly connote 'between same gender.'
> > (A note in passing -- as nearly 100% of this world
> are
> > acknowledged & practicing homosexuals, the
> function of
> > heterosexual activity will be predominantly in
> order
> > to procreate -- hence, male-female relations
> always
> > connotes the participates' wish to have children!)
> >

> And I suppose those male-female relationships are
> seen as purely utilitarian and
> that no romantic feeling is shared by the two
> people, except maybe a common
> feeling towards their offspring. Indeed, in such a
> culture it could be seen as
> deviant and abnormal to have a romantic attraction
> towards a person of the
> opposite sex :)) .

Your wording is precise as always!  But, then again,
my envisioned utopia Vaa:vy'yy would not include
concepts of deviance - as much as possible.  How
unrealistic that is!  ;-p

> > Thus:
> > Vya:a:hn word for "man" is _theiL_, but when we
> add
> > _a:a:L_ to indicate "in order to (do s.t.)," then
> the
> > noun "man" becomes the verb "to be intimate (for
> gay
> > males only).  Likewise, Vya:a:hn word for "woman"
> is
> > _rrhauxL_, but when we add _a:a:L_ to indicate "in
> > order to (do s.t.)" then the noun "woman" becomes
> the
> > verb "to be intimate (for lesbians only)".
> >

> Nice derivations :) .

Merci de nouveau.  Feared most of you elders would
rant that the derivation based on a:a:L would be too
crazy or something... ok, I can take criticize but
gladly prefer compliments.

> > *NB, I use _L_ in Vya:a:hn words to represent the
> > sound _i_ as in English word "it" -- not like
> Romance
> > "i".  I still haven't figured out the SAMPA
> symbols
> > enough to use them!
>
> The "i" in "it" is transcribed as /I/ in SAMPA.
> Phonemic transcriptions are
> given between slashes //, phonetic transcriptions
> between brackets [] and Roman
> transcriptions usually between angular brackets <>
> or underscores __.

Oh THANK YOU very much! for showing me that.  I guess
that SAMPA webpage I accessed is just way over my
comprehension level, as it appears like computer
language to me... and I'm not a programmer.  So, in
laymen's terms, when I transcribe Vya:a:hn word for
man as "theiL", I really mean /T Ej I/ .... right?
How does one indicate the Finnish "a" with an umlaut
(as in the word "va:a:ra:sa:a:rinen"?  That's my "a:"!
 And what about a strongly thrilled R as in Spanish
"rr" followed immediately by a soft "h" sound?  That's
what I intend by "rrh"!  And what about the Norwegian
"o" with a slash through it -- how does SAMPA
interpret this?  That's my "aux"!  Well, I create
Vya:a:h primarily using the Vya:a:hn script I
mentioned - sorry no web samples yet - so I haven't
relied on formal notation yet (btw, I've got these
cool ideas of incorporating sounds in words with
symbols other than the actual sound value based on
preceding sound values)

 e.g.  "good day" - _hyyva: voa_ (again I need help
with the SAMPA on this) but in the actual script, it
is written something like this:

          ^
       yy    h        o   v
          v             a

where ^ above yy h indicates sound value a: because
preceding vowel sound value is yy (of course, I've
made strict rules governing so-called vowel harmony:
eg, yy - a:, y - eh, uu - /I/ etc.)

Then I got my consonant harmony working in a similar
way for only nouns

  e.g. might be

         ei   th
            L            meaning "man"
                         said /T Ej I/ I think

  becomes

            ^
         ei    th        meaning "male-ism"
            sh           said /T Ej S m/ I guess...

(b/c consonant harmony rule governs sh - m, dj - lh,
etc)

Point being that I've got tons of ideas, but still do
not understand how to convey to the group the ideas
due to my lack of notation knowledge - as well as time
& actual finished product!  So, I hope you can still
support me by showing me here & there this & that...

>   Anyhow, _th_ resembles _th_ of
> > English word "think" and _ei_ said like Romance
> > languages would.
>
> Then your _th_ is /T/ in SAMPA, and as for _ei_,
> well it depends on the Romance
> language you're talking about :) . In French "ei" is
> /E/ (kind of like "e" in
> "set"), but in Spanish and Italian it's more like
> /Ej/ or /Ei/ (the first like
> in "prey" with a strong off-glide, the second like
> the "e" in "set" followed
> rapidly by a short Romance "i") :) .

You're correct about my "th" and "i" as /T/ and /I/
respectively, at least from your explanation.  My "ei"
would be like Span-Port-Itl /Ej/ I think.

> > triangle (the symbol of homosexuals).
> >

> :))

Nice touch for artsy-ness... plus, I've seen many
natlang scripts of the world from kanji/kana to Thai
to hangul to Khmer to Burmese to several Indian
scripts, and I still believe (of course) that my own
homemade Vya:a:hn script rules in terms of beauty &
writing creativity - though I did pull from some of
those natlang scripts.  To verbalize it, I might say
that the sounds most heavily relied on in Vya:a:h (v,
y, yy, a:, h, f) can be described this way:

    v --- written like Japanese kanji character for
          "naka" or "chuu", but without the lower
          horizontal line
    y --- puerly Vya:a:hn... a bit like Russian char
          that looks like a lower case "b" written
          backwards, but Vya:a:h char has a 'hat'
    yy -- purely Vya:a:hn... like "y" doubled when a
          vowel, but written as "x" when a consonant
    a: -- written as if Roman alphabet lower case "a"
          with umlaut
    h --- like Taiwanese/Jpn character for "open" but
          without upper portion showing "gate"
    f --- written the same as Hangul character for "h"

> >    e.g.  _theiL_  ---->     ei   th
> >
> > And, of course, first sound element is written
> always
> > in top right corner then second in top left,
> finally
> > last sound in bottom middle.
> >

> Is the language written right to left? In columns or
> in lines?

L or R, in lines though column style is possible (not
preferred though, due to ambiguity with
vowel/consonant harmony symbols which float about
above the characters)

> > At any rate, that's how I handled the concept of
> > homosexuality.  Suppose I'll have trouble coining
> > Vya:a:hn for the concept of heterosexuality!  Any
> > thoughts?
>
> Indeed, in such kind of culture heterosexuality is
> probably seen as a purely
> utilitarian matter, and I guess that if the people
> have access to artificial
> fecondation they will probably get rid of it
> completely, except for some
> "deviant" people who strangely want to actually have
> different-sex relationships
> :))) .

Again, Vaa:vy'yy is not a world of deviants - even if
you run across an occasional one.  But even then, s/he
won't be black-balled.

More Vya:a:h (in my own transcription - sorry! - if
you're interested)

  Hyyva: voa! Hauskatuloa Vya:a:h le'hti L!
  Olm (=oll'yi) theiLsh Ma:ththyy (L) ma:mL hauska
  tauxl-iila:a:L ta:m.
  Good day! Welcome to (the) Vya:a:h webpage!
  I am a man (named) Matthew and it is my pleasure
  to come to meet you.

  hyyva: -- good, voa -- day, hyyva: voa -- good day
  hauska -- nice, tuloa -- (archaic form for) "come"
  hauskatuloa -- welcome
  le'hti -- page (*can be "write" as a verb)
  L -- and, to, or, but(*depends on usage in sent.)
  olm -- I am (from verb "oll" and written "oll'yi")
  theiL -- man, -sh -- a (*can mean "some"/indefinite)
  Ma:ththyy -- (transcription of name "Matthew")
  ma:m -- I (emphatic only), L -- to, ma:mL "for me"
  tauxl -- come, iil -- greet (can mean "meet")
  a:a:L -- in order to (do s.t.)
  tauxl-iila:a:L -- (in order) to come greet/meet
  ta:m -- you (pl.) (*actually not needed as we can
          use express "hauska tauxl-iil-a:a:L" to
          mean "nice to meet you")

  (= ...) indicates that the word is pronounced as
  written before the parentheses, even though the
  actual written form dictates you must write as
  shown in parentheses.

  (...) indicates the sound can be uttered or can be
  omitted.

I'm tired now... got to erase the remaining 700 unread
conlang emails & go to bed.

Matt33