CONLANG  June 2001, Week 2

CONLANG June 2001, Week 2

Re: Vya:a:h (old: New Arvorec words)

Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:37:58 +0200

En réponse à SuomenkieliMaa <[log in to unmask]>:

> Hi Christophe, all!
> I fractured my right elbow 2 wks ago, so haven't been
> doing much of anything - lest typing or writing!  *-(
> Therefore, apologies for never replying!

Prompt rétablissement ! I know how it is to break one's elbow, so I understand
very well.

> Merci beaucoup.  Was afraid to post this as I do not
> mean to offend anyone, but then again it's a free
> forum, no?

Well, it seems that here, sexuality is not seen as offending at all (that's
nice). What seems offending here is bragging about politics, religion, and of
course auxlangs :)) .

  Well, between work & my arm - not to
> mention my turbulent private life, Vya:a:h is still a
> twinkle in my eye - so to speak.  Moreover, my partner
> does not understand such conlanging activity as a
> hobby, so I tend to hide it from him when he comes
> around (nearly everday).  Someday I hope Vya:a:h will
> amount to something, even if only an artlang or
> personal lang.

Well, at least my partner is understanding. Though he doesn't share my interest
(and has difficulties to see conlanging as an art, but I managed to convince him
that it is :) ), he is an artist too, and thus understands how it is when you're
passionnate about something. When we have a place to live together, we'll
probably use some of my conlanging for decoration :)) .

> > And I suppose those male-female relationships are
> > seen as purely utilitarian and
> > that no romantic feeling is shared by the two
> > people, except maybe a common
> > feeling towards their offspring. Indeed, in such a
> > culture it could be seen as
> > deviant and abnormal to have a romantic attraction
> > towards a person of the
> > opposite sex :)) .
>
> Your wording is precise as always!  But, then again,
> my envisioned utopia Vaa:vy'yy would not include
> concepts of deviance - as much as possible.  How
> unrealistic that is!  ;-p

Indeed... But if they are not human, I don't think you have to care about
realism. :)

> > Nice derivations :) .
>
> Merci de nouveau.  Feared most of you elders would
> rant that the derivation based on a:a:L would be too
> crazy or something... ok, I can take criticize but
> gladly prefer compliments.

Well, you see everything in natural languages. Even derivations which lots of
people would consider impossible do happen in some natlangs :) .

> > The "i" in "it" is transcribed as /I/ in SAMPA.
> > Phonemic transcriptions are
> > given between slashes //, phonetic transcriptions
> > between brackets [] and Roman
> > transcriptions usually between angular brackets <>
> > or underscores __.
>
> Oh THANK YOU very much! for showing me that.  I guess
> that SAMPA webpage I accessed is just way over my
> comprehension level, as it appears like computer
> language to me... and I'm not a programmer.  So, in
> laymen's terms, when I transcribe Vya:a:hn word for
> man as "theiL", I really mean /T Ej I/ .... right?

At least that's how I understood it.

> How does one indicate the Finnish "a" with an umlaut
> (as in the word "va:a:ra:sa:a:rinen"?  That's my "a:"!

Can someone help? I don't know how you pronounce Finnish and thus have no idea
of what's this a:.

>  And what about a strongly thrilled R as in Spanish
> "rr" followed immediately by a soft "h" sound?  That's
> what I intend by "rrh"!

Followed immediately? probably an aspirated trill, thus /r_h/ in SAMPA (I think,
I'm not sure how SAMPA treats trills, flaps and all other kinds of 'r').

  And what about the Norwegian
> "o" with a slash through it -- how does SAMPA
> interpret this?  That's my "aux"!

o-slash is /2/ in SAMPA. It is the sound of French "feu" you mean?

>  e.g.  "good day" - _hyyva: voa_ (again I need help
> with the SAMPA on this) but in the actual script, it
> is written something like this:
>
>           ^
>        yy    h        o   v
>           v             a
>
> where ^ above yy h indicates sound value a: because
> preceding vowel sound value is yy (of course, I've
> made strict rules governing so-called vowel harmony:
> eg, yy - a:, y - eh, uu - /I/ etc.)

Neat idea! So actually you read words first right to left, and then bottom to
top? :)) Also, it makes the script nicely less readable :) (I love languages
which bring problems :) ).

> Point being that I've got tons of ideas, but still do
> not understand how to convey to the group the ideas
> due to my lack of notation knowledge - as well as time
> & actual finished product!  So, I hope you can still
> support me by showing me here & there this & that...

Of course, that's also why the list is here!

> > :))
>
> Nice touch for artsy-ness... plus, I've seen many
> natlang scripts of the world from kanji/kana to Thai
> to hangul to Khmer to Burmese to several Indian
> scripts, and I still believe (of course) that my own
> homemade Vya:a:hn script rules in terms of beauty &
> writing creativity - though I did pull from some of
> those natlang scripts.  To verbalize it, I might say
> that the sounds most heavily relied on in Vya:a:h (v,
> y, yy, a:, h, f) can be described this way:
>
>     v --- written like Japanese kanji character for
>           "naka" or "chuu", but without the lower
>           horizontal line
>     y --- puerly Vya:a:hn... a bit like Russian char
>           that looks like a lower case "b" written
>           backwards, but Vya:a:h char has a 'hat'
>     yy -- purely Vya:a:hn... like "y" doubled when a
>           vowel, but written as "x" when a consonant
>     a: -- written as if Roman alphabet lower case "a"
>           with umlaut
>     h --- like Taiwanese/Jpn character for "open" but
>           without upper portion showing "gate"
>     f --- written the same as Hangul character for "h"

Such mixing of style must be interesting to see. As soon as you have samples
scanned, I want to see them!!!

> > Is the language written right to left? In columns or
> > in lines?
>
> L or R, in lines though column style is possible (not
> preferred though, due to ambiguity with
> vowel/consonant harmony symbols which float about
> above the characters)

In columns, you could always put those harmony symbols on the side of the
characters instead of on top of them...

> > Indeed, in such kind of culture heterosexuality is
> > probably seen as a purely
> > utilitarian matter, and I guess that if the people
> > have access to artificial
> > fecondation they will probably get rid of it
> > completely, except for some
> > "deviant" people who strangely want to actually have
> > different-sex relationships
> > :))) .
>
> Again, Vaa:vy'yy is not a world of deviants - even if
> you run across an occasional one.  But even then, s/he
> won't be black-balled.

How can we get a permanent visa for Vaa:vy'yy? :)))

Christophe.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr