CONLANG  July 2001, Week 1

CONLANG July 2001, Week 1

BP's & my reformed English spellings (was: RE: English notation)

And Rosta <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Jul 2001 13:47:33 +0100

BP:
> My scheme for reform of English spelling seeks to achieve four goals:
>
> 1) greater regularity,
>
> 2) greater similarity to Old English (this being mainly an aesthetic goal),
>
> 3) avoiding reliance on any single accent,
>
> 4) graphic brevity, wherever possible.

My recently revised scheme is strikingly similar (as can be seen in the
line-by-line comparison below). The main differences are that my scheme
is less historical, more abbreviatory, and optional for classical
borrowings.

Once my son started learning to read, and I observed how English spelling
is causing him a largely unnecessary 18 months of travail and depriving
him of an extra 18 months of reading time, I became a firm convert to
spelling reform. My scheme represents my ideal reform, a balance of
ease & learnability + brevity + needful etymologicality, but it is too
radical to catch on, so I would follow John in supporting Regularized
English as a more sellable reform.

In brief, my scheme is thus:

I. I-spelling ("italic spelling")
1. Italics are reserved (a) for spelling unassimilated borrowings in their
native orthography, and (b) for spelling words borrowed directly from Latin
(or via French, when the passage through French has not distorted the stem)
and <u>). Words borrowed from Greek are treated as if they'd been borrowed
via Latin, and hence are treated as (b). For words that could be given
"italic-spellings", it is at the writer's discretion whether to spell these
words with italic-spelling or native-spelling. I-spelling is avoided in
books for young children, would be used sparingly in popular journalism,
and used maximally in learned writing.
For emphasis, small caps or extra spacing are used. For mention, various
kinds of quotation marks are used. Italics are reserved for i-spelling alone.

II. N-spelling ("native spelling"
The conflicting and unreconcilable goals are:
1a. Spelling-to-pronunciation should be unambiguous.
1b. Pronunciation-to-spelling should be unambiguous.
1c. There should be a one-to-one correspondence between letters and phones.
    (This is to help children learning to read.)
1d. One orthography should work for all dialects.
2. Brevity is maximized.
3. The glyph inventory should be minimized.

The solution:
There are regular and irregular spellings. Brevity is one ingredient of the
system for regular spellings and the overriding ingredient for irregular
spellings. Only closed-class words may receive irregular spellings, and
it must not be possible to erroneously read an irregular spelling as
regular. Books for very young children may respell irregulars with
regular spelling.
  The orthography reflects only those phonological contrasts that occur
in the majority of dialects. This leads to violations of Goal 1a for
minoritarian contrasts, but there are not many such violations. There
are many more serious violations of Goal 1b, but this is unavoidable if
Goal 1d is to be maintained, and at least the burden of these violations
is borne fairly equally by different dialects.
  In the case of words affected by interdialectal differences of phoneme
incidence, the words are spelt according either to the writer's dialect
or to the dialect of the majority of the readership. In the text below
the examples of this are: _poor_, _advanced_, _task_, _last_.

Here is my version of the G.A.:

 Getizburg adres
Getizburg, Pensilveynia
nvembr 19, 1863

4 skor & 7 yirz ao ar faarz broot f on s continent, n nyw nation,
knsiyvd i liberti, & dedicatd t  proposition  l men r creatd equal.
  na wi r ingeyjd i n greyt civil wor, testng w t nation, o ei nation
sw knsiyvd & sw dedicatd, kn long indywr. wi r met on n greyt batl-fiyld
v t wor.  wi hv kum t dedicat n portion v t fiyld, az n final restng
pleys fr wz hu hr geyv er layvz  t nation mt liv.  it iz ltg fitng
& proper  wi xd d s.
  b, i n larjr sens, wi kn nt dedicat -- wi kn nt consecrat -- wi kn nt halw
-- s grawnd.   breyv men, livng & ded, hu strugld hr, hv consecratd it, far
bv ar por [pwr] pawr t ad o detract.   wurld wl ll nowt, nr long rmembr
wt wi so hr, bt it kn nv frget wt e dd hr.  it iz fr us  livng, r, t bi
dedicatd hr t  unfinixd wurk wc e hu foot hr hv s far sw nobly advaansd
[advansd].  it is r fr us t bi hr dedicatd t  greyt taask [task] remanng
bfr us --  fm yz honord ded wi teyk increscd devotion t t caus fr wc e
geyv  laast [last] fwl mezxr v devotion --  wi hr hy'ly resolv  yz ded
xl nt hv dy'd i veyn --  s nation, nd god, xl hv n nyw bur v friydm --
&  guvrnmnt v  piypl, by  piypl, fr  piypl, xl nt perix fm  ur.

And here's a line by line comparison with BP's:

>  etisbyrg Adres
> Ht Hgetisbyrg Adres

 Getizburg adres

> etisbyrg, Pensilvnia
> Hgetisbyrg, Pensilvaania

Getizburg, Pensilveynia

> Nvembr 19, 1863
> Noovembr 19, 1863

nvembr 19, 1863

> fr skor & sevn jrs ago our faers brt for on iz kontinent,
> foar skor & sevn jeers agoo our fahters broat forht on htiz kontinent,

4 skor & 7 yirz ao ar faarz broot f on s _continent,

> a n nxn, koncv'd in libyrti, & dedikt'd t  proposixn
> a nyy neexn, konceev'd in libyrti, & dedikaat'd t ht proposixn

n nyw _nation, knsiyvd i _liberti, & _dedicatd t  _proposition

> at l men ar krtid kwol.
> htat oal men ar kreeaatid eekwol.

 l men r _creatd _equal.

> now w ar eng'd in a grt sivil wr, testing hwer at nxn,
> now w ar engaahg'd in a greet sivil woar, testing hwehtr htat neexn,

na wi r ingeyjd i n greyt _civil wor, testng w t _nation,

> or eni nxn s konsv'd & s dedikt'd, kan long endr.
> or eni neexn soo konseev'd & soo dedikaat'd, kan long endyyr.

o ei _nation sw knsiyvd & sw _dedicatd, kn long indywr.

> w ar met on a grt batl-fld v at wr. w hav kom t dedikt
> w ar met on a greet batl-feeld v htat woar. w hav kom t dedikaat

wi r met on n greyt batl-fiyld v t wor.  wi hv kum t _dedicat

> a porxn v at fld, as a fnl resting pls for z h hr gav
> a porxn v htat feeld, as a fijnl resting plaas for htooz huw heer gav

n _portion v t fiyld, az n _final restng pleys fr wz hu hr geyv

> r lvz at at nxn mt liv. it z ltuer fiting & propr
> htaar lijvz htat htat neexn might liv. it z oaltuhgehtr fiting & propr

er layvz  t _nation mt liv.  it iz ltg fitng & _proper

> at w xud d iz.
> htat w xud duw htiz.

 wi xd d s.

> byt, in a larr sense, w kan not dedikt -- w kan not konsekrt --
> byt, in a larhgr sense, w kan not dedikaat -- w kan not konsekraat --

b, i n larjr _sens, wi kn nt _dedicat -- wi kn nt _consecrat

> w kan not hall -- iz ground.  brv men, living & ded,
> w kan not halloo -- htiz ground. ht braav men, living & ded,

wi kn nt halw -- s grawnd.   breyv men, livng & ded,

> h strugl'd hr, hav konsekrt'd it, far abyv our pr pour t ad or
> huw strugl'd heer, hav konsekraat'd it, far abyv our puwr pour t ad or

hu strugld hr, hv _consecratd it, far bv ar por [pwr] pawr t ad o

> dtrakt.  wyrld wil litl nt, nor long rmembr hwat w s hr,
> deetrakt. ht wyrld wil litl noot, nor long reemembr hwat w saa heer,

_detract.   wurld wl ll nowt, nr long rmembr wt wi so hr,

> byt it kan nevr foret hwat  did hr. it z for ys  living, raer,
> byt it kan nevr forhget hwat htaa did heer. it z for ys ht living, rahter,

bt it kn nv frget wt e dd hr.  it iz fr us  livng, r,

> t b dedikt'd hr t  ynfinix'd work hwic  h ft hr hav
> t b dedikaat'd heer t ht ynfinix'd work hwic htaa huw foat heer hav

t bi _dedicatd hr t  unfinixd wurk wc e hu foot hr hv

> ys far s nbli advans'd. it z rar for ys t b hr dedikt'd
> htys far soo noobli advans'd. it z rahtr for ys t b heer dedikaat'd

s far sw nobly advaansd [advansd].  it is r fr us t bi hr _dedicatd

> t  grt task rmning bfor ys -- at from z honor'd ded
> t ht greet task reemaaning beefor ys -- htat from hteez honor'd ded

t  greyt taask [task] _remanng bfr us --  fm yz onrd ded

> w tk inkrs'd dvxn t at ks for hwic  gv  last ful
> w taak inkrees'd deevooxn t htat koas for hwic htaa gaav ht last ful

wi teyk _increscd _devotion t t _caus fr wc e geyv  laast [last] fwl

> mezr v dvxn -- at w hr hli rsolv at z ded xal not
> mezyyr v deevooxn -- htat w heer hijli reesolv htat hteez ded xal not

mezxr v _devotion --  wi hr hy'ly _resolv  yz ded xl nt

> hav d'd in vn -- at iz nxn, yndr god, xal hav a n byr
> hav dij'd in vaan -- htat htiz neexn, yndr god, xal hav a nyy byrht

hv dy'd i veyn --  s _nation, nd god, xl hv n nyw bur

> v frdom -- & at gyvrnment v  ppl, b  ppl,
> v freedom -- & htat gyvrnment v ht peepl, bij ht peepl,

v friydm -- &  guvrnmnt v  piypl, by  piypl,

> for  ppl, xal not perix from  yr.
> for ht peepl, xal not perix from ht yrht.

fr  piypl, xl nt perix fm  ur.

-- really, n ms magnificent spiyc, sw utrly american.

--And.