CONLANG  July 2001, Week 4

CONLANG July 2001, Week 4

Re: IPA for the Vowel in "good"

Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Jul 2001 23:46:26 -0400

David Peterson wrote:
>    So, wait...  Are you suggesting that the vowel I have is barred i not
>/U_c/?  I'm pretty sure it isn't.>
No, I take your word for it-- some kind of back unrounded lax vowel, but I
suspect a little centralized.  Same general area as barred i, but lower.
There's some empty space in that area in the IPA vowel triangle, IIRC.

>because I just can't pin
>down the sound of /i-/.  It may reduce to that, but I could have sworn that
>vowel wasn't in my language>

If you have honest-to-God barred i at all, it will be in the plural/verbal
ending -es after sibilants:   roses [rozi-z], kisses [kisi-z], judges
[dZVdZi-z] etc.   You might be able to distinguish "roses" vs. "Rosa's"
[roz@z], or kisses vs. r-less "kissers" [kis@z].  There's also adverbial
"just", which is [dZi-st] for many.  But it's a fairly fine distinction, and
perhaps only linguists make it......:-)

Then there's the sound we make when we see/smell something disgusting,
wrinkling the nose and going [i-:::::]; I've never seen that in written
form, though maybe "oooh" or "eeew" are attempts at it.