CONLANG  July 2001, Week 4

CONLANG July 2001, Week 4

Re: Once upon a time

Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Jul 2001 19:21:40 -0400

James Campbell wrote:

>A correspondent recently asked me how one would write 'Once upon a time...'
>in Jameld; as yet, I haven't settled on a suitable idiom.
>
>Are there equivalent expressions in your conlangs (or natlangs, e.g.
>Norwegian «Det var en gang» ['there was a time'])?

In Kash, nothing official yet.  However, in various translations in the
past, I've used:

Sosikra curami! Hear my story! (at the start of a traditional/legendary
story-- "Goldsword" of several months back)

Mesa leroni... One day...  (lit., one day-of.it;  the North Wind vs. Sun)

Another possibility:  Ri lerosh cosa...  In days gone by.....(cosa 'to go')
Or another:  Yalesa anjuni...  There was a time....(yale-sa 'there.is-past'
anju-ni 'time, period-of.it'